Installation problem from USB-Stick

Dear professionals,
I got an error after trying to install Endless OS Englisch full-version on my HP
Elitebook 2560p (built-in SSD 128GB) after boot from USB-stick made with the
tool „create Reflasher USB“ from your installer.
The error message is:
„Oops,something is wrong with your Endless OS file“….“Internal Error“.
I had only the choice to Power Off my notebook without a logfile.
My goal is to install Endless OS as the only OS on my computer. So where I can produce and find a logfile? No logfile can be found on the USB-Stick and the harddisk was erased by the installer.
What is wrong here?
help please…
Thank you in advance
Frank Schneider

Hi Frank, we actually have a kind of embarrassing bug in 3.0.4 where the installer shows this error at the very last step, but may actually have worked fine. Can you try booting your computer and see if Endless is working after all? We have a fix for the installer ready in 3.0.5 which is due very shortly.

Hi Robert,
unfortunately my computer doesn’t boot after all. Can you say when the bugfixed installer comes? Or in other words: does “very shortly” means this week or later?
Thank you
Frank

Oh dear, very sorry to hear that. It should be on Monday, but thankfully, our installer is actually very simple… so you can also try these steps to install manually using an Endless Live USB. Unfortunately unless you want to download the image twice or have a separate Linux system you can use to copy the eos*.img.gz file onto the live USB (Windows can’t access the Linux filesystems), two USBs sticks would be easier.

• Go back to your Windows computer with the Endless Installer and select advanced installation options, then create a live USB.
  • Put a 2nd USB into the Windows system and copy the eos-eos3.0-bla-bla.img.gz file onto the 2nd USB key.
  • Reboot from the live USB and go through the first boot experience to get to the Endless desktop.
  • Insert the 2nd USB.
  • Search for “Disks” on the desktop and press enter to run the GNOME Disks app. You need to find two things in here: 1) On the left, find your 2nd USB stick - this may appear with a name like “Thumb Drive”. The live USB will have 3 different partitions on it, but the 2nd USB should just have one. Select this partition and look at the “Contents” line, it should say something like “Mounted at /run/media/yourname/1234-5677”. 2) On the left, find your computer’s hard drive, eg “256 GB Disk”. The name will depend on the size and hard drive vendor, the 2nd line could say something like Seagate, Maxtor, Hitachi, etc. If you click on it you should see on the right which Device it corresponds to, probably /dev/sda.
  • Go back to the desktop and search for “Terminal” and press the enter key.
  • Type: cd /run/media/yourname/1234-5678 (whichever folder you found in GNOME Disks for your 2nd USB above) then press the enter key.
  • Type: sudo eos-write-image eos-<press tab> /dev/sda (when you press tab it should complete the eos-eos3.0-bla-bla.img.gz filename, and replace /dev/sda with the Device path you found for your hard drive in GNOME Disks) then press the enter key.
  • It will ask you for your password, which will not appear on the screen as you type it. Type it in and then press enter.
  • It should then overwrite your HDD with Endless OS, showing a progress bar or at least spinner.
  • When the command has finished you should be able to reboot into Endless.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Robert,
unfortunately your workaround didn’t work. Is the version 3.0.5 online?
Thank you
Frank

Not yet – we expect it to be published some time later today.

Thanks a lot! Can you tell, when its there?

Hey there,
now i tried the fixed version of endless os and it works till the end of installation process. But my computer didn’t start anymore. It says: no boot media found.
What went wrong? Any ideas?
Thank you
Frank

3.0.5 has been published, but because we have moved to .xz compression, you need the latest Windows installer version (3.0.5.1) to install it or create USBs. Please check you have the latest version (you can see in the bottom right of the first screen, or right click and go to to Properties and then look for Version in the Details tab) or get it directly from https://d1anzknqnc1kmb.cloudfront.net/endless-installer/endless-installer-v3.0.5.1.exe

A post was split to a new topic: How to use an already-downloaded image file with the Endless Installer for Windows

Hi Frank,

Strange – so you created a new USB from the new version of the Windows tool; booted it; selected “Reformat with Endless OS”; and it all proceeded successfully but your computer won’t boot?

Can you do the following:

• boot from the USB
  • choose “Try Endless” to get a live session
  • open Terminal
  • run eos-diagnostics
  • open Documents
  • select [+] Other Locations in the sidebar, choose the eoslive disk
  • copy the eos-diagnostics output from Home to eoslive
  • attach it here

Also – when you were installing Endless OS, did you get a choice of 2 different hard disks to install it to? We’ve had some reports of problems on machines with a small SSD as well as a large HDD.

Hi wjt,

please find attached log-file for deeper studies. HOPE IT HELPS…and yes, it’s really strange.

Today I tried the installation with a HP ProBook 6560b (where the attached file is coming from). During installation I found only one HDD, it’s a normal 300GB HDD, nothing special (i.e. HDD with SSD-part etc.).

Installation works fine, but my Notebook didn’t boot.

Greetings

Frank

eos-diagnostic-161107_195706_UTC-0800.txt (322 KB)

Hi wjt,

brand new interesting news: i tried to install ubuntu 16.04 and it worked from scratch without problems (same notebook). Sorry, but for me it’s clear, that you have a bug in your installation process.

Greetings

Frank

Yeah, that’s clear to me too, unfortunately. :frowning:

Thanks for the log, I’ll see what I can discover. Your computer has a BIOS, not EFI, so I think it’s probably down to the way we convert the image after installing it on BIOS systems.

Hi wjt,

can you see light at the end of the tunnel? Do you see a chance to fix the problem in a reasonable period?

Greetings

Frank

I’m afraid I haven’t had a chance to take a closer look, sorry :frowning:

Hi @Gutelade - good news! As far as we’re aware - this bug is fixed in 3.0.7 which we released at the start of this week. We had implemented support in our installer to switch from the GPT partition table (specific to EFI systems, although we provided an MBR bootloader so they were bootable for BIOS systems as well) to a DOS partition table, because some BIOS systems (incorrectly) won’t consider a disk bootable unless there is a DOS partition table with a bootable partition. Unfortunately, we did the hard bit of converting from EFI to DOS partitions, and then forgot to mark a partition as bootable, so the issue was never fixed. Thanks to @smileyyasha for finding this oversight!

Hi ramcq,

good news! I will try the new version soon.

Thank you and thanks to http://community.endlessm.com/users/smileyyasha @smileyyasha.

1 Like