Location: Remote, UK or US East Coast time zone preferred
Reports to: Director of OS Engineering
Our vision is simple: the whole world, empowered.
The Endless OS Foundation (EOSF) exists to democratize access to technology to create opportunities for underserved and under-resourced populations around the world. We promote coding, education, livelihood, and digital agency for the public, particularly the youth and less advantaged around the world. We provide a fully-featured, reliable and easy to use Linux-based personal computer OS which provides a rich and varied experience whether or not you have access to the Internet, and allows parents and educators to keep children safe from online threats by providing simple Internet access control.
Apps bundled with the OS serve as the channels for content delivery, bringing content and games to support digital literacy, learning to code, language learning, creativity and STEM education. Endless OS ships in dozens of countries and on millions of computers through commercial and philanthropic deployments, bringing the mission of Endless OS to users around the world.
We currently target three specific initiatives for impact:
- Build EdTech products that provide high quality and interactive digital experiences for users with limited internet connectivity.
- Validate their offline technology needs and use through extensive outreach and evaluation in the communities we serve.
- Advocate for the recognition and support of the ever-growing digital divide and barriers to digital access.
The Foundation is a “remote-first” team of highly-skilled philanthropy and product specialists around the globe. We offer flexible working hours and locations as a matter of course. We are a friendly, mission-driven organization with a highly-engaged workforce and “can do” culture. Our team pulls together to solve big problems and drive towards our social impact goals.
Our Ideal Customer Success Engineer
In order to distribute our work and make impact in the world, Endless OS Foundation engages impact partners involved in and around the school system, initiatives in underserved and indigenous communities, detention facilities, etc. We are seeking a skilled and experienced communicator to manage the technical conversations conducted with such partners, coordinating the provision of any technical solutions that are requested, and ensuring that problems are solved.
While refined communication and people skills will be necessary to conduct such conversations, you will also be required to draw upon your own detailed understanding of Linux-based operating systems in order to facilitate the optimal response. Your technical proficiency will also be required so that you can track and understand Endless OS Foundation’s ongoing engineering efforts, and ensure that solutions being developed are fully appropriate for the target partner.
We strive to have our engineering team directly in contact with our impact partners in order to provide solutions. Acting as the technical relationship manager, we will draw upon your communication skills to facilitate smooth conversations between our partners and the relevant engineers when appropriate.
We seek to improve transparency in our operations. A requirement for this role is your ability to keep a finger on the pulse of Endless’s product development and other initiatives, and to proactively keep our partners informed of relevant happenings and developments.
As a secondary role, you will advance the growth and efficacy of the Endless OS online user community. This includes addressing frequently reported problems on the forums, improving our technical and user documentation, and facilitating the work of grassroots efforts to deploy Endless OS.
Customer Success Engineer Responsibilities
- Manage the technical communications with Endless’s impact partners
- Ensure and verify that partners’ technical needs are understood and met
- Facilitate communication between partners and Endless’s engineering team
- Ensure partners have high visibility into Endless’s engineering and other initiatives
- Represent and advocate the needs of our impact partners within the engineering processes
- Develop and improve our technical product documentation
- Provide direct technical support and technical training where appropriate
- Foster any community-driven grassroots Endless OS deployment projects in educational environments.
- Foster a user community that allows and encourages community members to become active, valued and functional members of the Endless OS ecosystem.
Required Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated experience conducting technical conversations with users/customers/partners, including provision of technical support and technical strategy discussions
- Considerable experience with Linux-based operating systems
- Candidates must demonstrate (at minimum) a cornerstone understanding of how typical Linux operating systems fit together and how to manipulate them at an advanced administrative level.
- For example, we expect you to have edited GRUB config files, checked the reverse dependencies of a deb or rpm package, and to have fsck’ed a filesystem from the terminal, that type of thing.
- Highly proficient in spoken and written English
- Able to converse with users and deeply relate to their needs in lesser-technical conversations
- Strong problem solving, communication, and prioritization skills
- An enthusiastic, independent, proactive, flexible, and cooperative approach to getting work done
- Friendly and patient manner
- Motivated by open source software ideals and the power of community
Preferred Skills and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in related field, or equivalent work experience
- Experience with Bash shell scripting and Python
- Familiarity with with the Linux desktop stack, GNOME and supporting middleware
- Experience working with charities, NGOs or social enterprises
- Experience working within emerging markets
Endless is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Endless provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Learn more about us: