Location: US East Coast (remote work) preferred.
Reports to: Director of OS Engineering
Salary: $100k - $145k ( dependent on specialist and experience level)
Click here to apply
About Endless OS Foundation
Our vision is simple: the whole world, empowered. Access to the digital tools of the modern era is a prerequisite for that vision to be realized.
The Endless OS Foundation exists to democratize access to technology to create opportunities for underserved and under-resourced populations around the world. We promote coding, education, livelihood, and digital agency for the public, particularly the youth and less advantaged around the world.
Current initiatives include:
The Endless Laptop program employs innovative financing models to increase PC access equity in the USA and beyond, offering an affordable payment plan to participants.
The Endless Key brings a great breadth and depth of offline learning materials to those with Windows PCs, addressing the Homework Gap.
Our work on the GNOME Desktop ensures that we can bring an intuitive, excellently-designed Free and Open Source PC desktop experience to first-time PC users reached through our work.
Our technologies reach end users through multiple channels, including via Endless OS, a robust Linux-based PC operating system that provides an all-in-one solution for access to education with or without an internet connection, with an easy-to-use desktop environment and affordable PC access technology. Apps bundled with the OS serve as the channels for content delivery, bringing content and games to support digital literacy, learning to code, language learning, creativity and STEM education.
The Foundation is a “remote-first” team of highly-skilled philanthropy and product specialists around the globe. We offer flexible working hours and locations as a matter of course. We are a friendly, mission-driven organization with a highly-engaged workforce and “can do” culture. Our team pulls together to solve big problems and drive towards our social impact goals.
Our Ideal Customer Success Engineer
In order to distribute our work and make an impact around the world, Endless OS Foundation engages impact partners in and around the school system, with initiatives in underserved regions, indigenous communities, detention facilities, etc. These partners take Endless’s work and deploy it in the real world, reaching target beneficiaries, and also help to inform the future development of Endless’s initiatives.
We are seeking a skilled and experienced communicator to manage the technical conversations conducted with such partners, coordinating the provision of any technical solutions that are requested, and ensuring that problems are solved.
While refined communication and people skills will be necessary to conduct such conversations, you will also be required to draw upon your own detailed understanding of Linux-based operating systems in order to support our partners’ Endless OS deployments. Your technical proficiency will also be required so that you can track and understand Endless OS Foundation’s ongoing engineering efforts, and ensure that solutions being developed are fully appropriate for the target partner.
We strive to have our engineering team directly in contact with our impact partners in order to provide solutions. Acting as the technical relationship manager, we will draw upon your communication skills to facilitate smooth conversations between our partners and the relevant engineers when appropriate.
We seek to improve transparency in our operations. A requirement for this role is your ability to keep a finger on the pulse of Endless’s product development and other initiatives, and to proactively keep our partners (and the general public) informed of relevant happenings and developments.
As a secondary role, you will advance the growth and efficacy of the Endless OS online user community. This includes improving our technical and user documentation, facilitating grassroots efforts to deploy Endless’s work, and addressing frequently reported problems on our community forums.
Customer Success Engineer Responsibilities
- Manage the technical communications with Endless’s impact partners
- Ensure and verify that partners’ technical needs are understood and met
- Facilitate communication between partners and Endless’s engineering team
- Ensure partners have high visibility into Endless’s engineering and other initiatives
- Represent and advocate the needs of our impact partners within the engineering processes
- Develop and improve our technical product documentation
- Provide direct technical support and technical training where appropriate
- Foster any community-driven grassroots Endless OS deployment projects in educational environments.
- Foster a user community that allows and encourages community members to become active, valued and functional members of the Endless OS ecosystem.
Required Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated experience conducting technical conversations with users/customers/partners, including provision of technical support and technical strategy discussions
- Considerable experience with Linux-based operating systems
- Candidates must demonstrate (at minimum) a cornerstone understanding of how typical Linux operating systems fit together and how to manipulate them at an advanced administrative level.
- For example, we expect you to have edited GRUB config files, checked the reverse dependencies of a deb or rpm package, and to have fsck’ed a filesystem from the terminal, that type of thing.
- Highly proficient in spoken and written English
- Able to converse with users and deeply relate to their needs in lesser-technical conversations
- Strong problem solving, communication, and prioritization skills
- An enthusiastic, independent, proactive, flexible, and cooperative approach to getting work done
- Friendly and patient manner
- Motivated by open source software ideals and the power of community
Preferred Skills and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in related field, or equivalent work experience
- Experience with Bash shell scripting and Python
- Familiarity with with the Linux desktop stack, GNOME and supporting middleware
- Experience working with charities, NGOs or social enterprises
- Experience working within emerging markets
Endless is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Endless provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.