Give Suggestions and tips for making Endless Laptop more Faster and Smooth

My System Detail is:
Memory - 1.8GiB
Processor - Intel Celeron® CPU N3350 @1.10GHz x 2
Graphics - Intel HD Graphics 500 (Broxton 2 x6)
OS type - 64-bit
Disk - 500.1GB

I experience my laptop is very shown when using usual most common apps: Internet Chromium, VLC, File Manager.
But the most problem I feel when using Chromium Browser. it takes many seconds to change cursor pointing and responses to clicks. Its feed very uncomfortable even when opened 2-3 tabs and running simple sits.
Many times its stop responding with the whole pc and I need to shutdown by pressing the power button.

Is there any solution to my pc problem? and suggestions to make it faster.

Please give only useful and helpful reply. Don’t reply anything

Upgrade your RAM, 1.8 GiB is very low nowdays…

2 Likes

@Prashant_Gupta what version of Endless do you have on it?

Também dou a mesma sugestão. Você deve colocar mais 2Gb de RAM em sua máquina, pois com apenas 2Gb o Endless ficará lento mesmo.

Always latest; Currently 3.4.2

That’s good because there were memory usage improvements in 3.3.15, and you’re using Chromium which should discard tabs when there’s memory pressure. I’m not sure what else to tell you.

I have a BayTrail system as well. From my playing around with it, I have found that Endless is about the only Linux based system that does usable job of supporting the architecture. But it is still very slow with Endless.

I keep any responsiveness in my BayTrail it is really necessary to run only one major application at a time. For Chromium try and stick with only one tab open. You can install extensions from Chrome web store. I use uBlock Origin to block ads and stop tracking, which can help a fair bit. There are also extensions to block multi media from playing/loading automatically.

For multimedia Totem (Videos) and RhythmBox (Music) both use codecs and frameworks that are part of the Gnome system and most likely are less resource intensive than VLC. You can use Totem (Videos) to play Youtube videos as well.

The Youtube app, the Gmail app and perhaps others as well are web apps built on Chromium, so having any of those apps open essentially counts as having a Chromium tab open. You can turn off auto upates, turn off Bluetooth and where possible block push notifications, which will also conserve system resources.

Baytrail was a dead end for Intel and it has been discontinues for some time now. But there were a large number of inexpensive systems built upon it. It does have very good energy usage proprieties and thermal properties. It is nice that Endless supports the architecture, It is slow and easily stressed, but if you keep reasonable expectations of what can be on the machine, it is good serviceable hardware.

bill

Thank you.
This is what I’m looking for. I use only chromium. Not installed apps as youtube and similar other. two thing I will try is Bluetooth off and push notification

I have a similiar config with Celeron N3450 @4GB RAM und 128 GB SSD. That is ok so far, browsing is smooth and I can game in steam via in-home streaming.
If you have the Acer Travelmate then you can switch harddisk to a SSD. That should already improve a lot.