I still dont know what my Endless needs . . . :'(

Good Evening dear Endless Team,

I salute using my new Asus that came with Endless OS. After going through many possible options from Laptops to buy in which I could work from as well (turning these machines into an amenity, and during these days a bit more than that) I am an English teacher and I loved the idea of having so much content already with the OS that I fantasied with the idea or just going through some of the software together with my students, reading, learning.

I cant complaint at all with the system, it is really friendly and simple at the same time that effective. All the tools you need you have them, and the plus ones you can adapt around with virtual machines and Wine, but with what it offers you can roll as long as the machine goes.

Recently, however, I have had repetitive issues when booting up the machine, initially was after you found yourself at the desktop to start working, as soon as an app’s icon was double-clicked on it would freeze and not respond. Hard boot would make it work back again (sometimes twice was needed ) Now, after updating recent OS, the system would crash at booting before, during and after the Endless OS screen with the orange ribbons. Sometimes the GNU would come up after pressing the power button and let me select OS and versions. Sometimes the screen would go multicoloured pixels all around, again the old good Power button is there for the safe. It has been like this past week.

I need help some help, I strongly believed that proceeding with this trouble shooting, which is effective after a couple of turns, It can’t be but harmful for the system and the mechanical Disk in which it came installed in.

Thank, many thanks in advance

eos-diagnostic-200510_192434_UTC-0500.txt (1.0 MB)

Hi,

according the the logs and your description of the symptoms, i have the belief that one of the memory modules in your computer is defective.

Can you please download the Tool memtest86 from https://www.memtest86.com, write it to a USB Stick and run it to verify the installed system memory. Please let us know here in this thread if this tool does not find any errors.

@egrath Thanks for all your help for Endless users on this forum! My read of this log was more like a GPU driver problem, I see some hangs/backtraces from the amdgpu driver. What makes you suspect bad RAM? Maybe @Daniel or @jprvita would recognise the issue from the description/logs.

Yes, i saw them too. The lines that made me suspect the RAM was IO_PAGE_FAULT. I had them previously on some Radeon Pro Graphics Cards with defective VRAM. As the OP has a CPU built in GPU which uses main memory as VRAM, i thought that eventually this could be the issue there too.

Additionally i saw some bug reports at kernel.org which could also point to some AMDGPU driver bug in recent kernels, including 5.4. The memtest86 recommendation was to make sure that it’s not a hardware problem in the first place.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.