Laptop HP Stream, 11-D010CA Very long to boot

i installed Endless on this laptop HP Stream 11-d010CA
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04502704

It takes several minutes before the Endless logo to appear, and then the laptop start booting.
once booted it is ok, but I am tryin to understand why it is so loooonnnnnggggg t o boot

JF
any ideas ?

Something that would help us a lot to understand the problem would be this:

1. Open the application called ‘Terminal’
  2. In this application run the command:

eos-diagnostics

1. The above command will create a file with the information of your system (example: eos-diagnostic-160614_111731_UTC + 0100.txt); Send us this file so we can analyze and see a possible solution
1 Like

eos-diagnostic-180621_113206_UTC-0400.txt (563.8 KB)
Here it is
JF
Tks !

BTW No stress… If it’s too difficult to find WHy, I don’t care… As once it’s booted, it runs perfectly well

JF

@wjt could help
Endless OS slow to boot

Please restart your computer and collect a new eos-diagnostics log immediately after rebooting. This will include logs from the boot process which might help understand what’s taking so long. Then, run the following in a terminal:

systemd-analyze plot > plot.svg

Attach the new diagnostic file, and plot.svg, here.

eos-diagnostic-180629_092227_UTC-0400.txt (241.5 KB)

plot.txt (241.4 KB)

I renamed the extension to txt as .svg is not allowed by discourse
JF

Weird – the long pause is in the bootloader:

Startup finished in 4.669s (firmware) + 2min 59.639s (loader) + 7.473s (kernel) + 2.378s (initrd) + 14.240s (userspace) = 3min 28.402s

And the plot bears this out: once the kernel loads, the boot process is reasonably swift.

Have you tried other Linux distributions on the same hardware? If so, do they boot swiftly? I wonder if the problem could be in the way our GRUB configuration searches for the root partition. Please try the following:

1. Shut down your computer.
  2. Turn the computer on and immediately start holding the Shift key down.
  3. Do not release Shift until the GRUB menu shows. My guess is that this will take 3 minutes.
  4. Once at the GRUB menu, release Shift. Press F2 to get a command line, run the command ls and take a photo of the result.
  5. Hit Esc to get the GRUB menu back, and press Enter to start Endless OS.

Send us the photo!

Tks for the help
Any ideas why the SHIFT key thing would not work ?

I power on, hold the shift key as soon as I power on and I endup to the login screen after 3 or 4 minutes

Tried change bios settings : Legacy. no legacy mode, secure mode, no secure Boot etc

JF
Sorry

Ah, then you’re on an EFI system. (I thought it was a BIOS system from the diagnostic but evidently not.)

Try following the instructions on https://support.endlessm.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003751803-After-an-update-my-computer-does-not-boot-How-do-I-recover- about pressing Esc at the right time to get to the GRUB menu.

1 Like

Question :
If in the BIOS I can choose Legacy mode for booting Secure Boot and so on
Would the choice I make there, change what you see in the log ? Or no, whatever the choice I make there, I am on an EFI system ?

JF

Did GRUB show immediately, or did it take 3 minutes? Did the ls command run immediately, or did it take 3 minutes?

If you set “Legacy mode” then Endless will believe it’s running on a BIOS system; see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#CSM for some details.

CHANGE BIOS MODE AFTER INSTALLATION :

if a computer is setup to Secure Boot and we install endless
And after we change the BIOS mode to legacy ( change bios mode) after installation, is it bad ? Does it change something if it can boot in both mode whichever we take ?

JF

Well, it removes the protection that Secure Boot offers you. Otherwise there’s probably little observable difference. Does making this change fix this long-boot-time problem?

I tried using legacy mode and it still takes several minutes to boot.
as long as I suspend / put to sleep mode the laptop, THE LONG BOOT TIME is not much of a problem.

If you have other ideas let me know, tks !
JF