More flatpak access is just grand

The update to 3.1.2 is very nice. I am especically enjoying the additional easier access to flatpaks. An easy tutorial to use flatpaks would be of great benefit.

Gnome app repositories are now included by default. To find what Gnome applications you can use from the terminal you can run:

flatpak remote-ls gnome-apps

I personally added
Gnome Web flatpak install gnome-apps org.gnome.Epiphany
Gnome Maps flatpak install gnome-apps org.gnome.Maps
Gnome Documents flatpak install gnome-apps org.gnome.Documents

Epiphany accesses the internet without problems. Maps and Documents appear to have no access to the internet. Maps tells you it needs to be connected. Documents simply does not access any online content that you have setup in the Gnome Control for Online Accounts.

I saw a post listing commands to give VLC more access than it gets by default and perhaps such commands are available for internet access for Maps and Documents, however I do not know what they might be. Gnome Photos and Gnome books which show up in the software center by default also do not appear to have internet access which would be helpful to use their full potential.

Overall the fuller integration of flatpaks is quite wonderful and many kudos to the developers for their work in making this happen.

bill

Hi Bill, We specifically block some of these (certainly Maps) from showing up in the App Center because we know that the flatpak doesn’t work fully yet or isn’t up to the standard we’d like, you of course can head to the command line to work around it, as you have done :wink: Since this software is totally maintained and distributed by GNOME, to get these fixed you’d have to file bugs in the upstream tracker. You can see that our very own @mario filed this one about Maps in January:

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=777706

I’d love to have a working Maps, it’s a really good program. We hope to add more upstream repo’s soon, such as LibreOffice’s to get access to the very latest versions of the office suite. Community suggestions of existing flatpak’s or creation of your own flatpak packaging is strongly encouraged!