Sound bug after unpluging headphones

Hi!

If I plug my headset into my laptop via the classic jack Endless immediately recognizes it and everything runs flawlessly. But when I unplug my headphones (or whatever sound output hardware that was connected via jack) and restart the computer then Endless still thinks there’re some headphones attached to it or it doesn’t even recognize the output: in other words I don’t have sound nor I’m able to do anything about it (in the controll panel it still says there’s a headphone attached or no available output device). Replugging the headset doesn’t solve the problem. However a reboot does.

But when I unplug my headphones (or whatever sound output hardware that was connected via jack) and restart the computer then Endless still thinks there’re some headphones attached

Replugging the headset doesn’t solve the problem. However a reboot does.

Can you clarify if rebooting the computer solves the problem or not? As there seems to be some contradiction above.

@jprvita any suggestions here?

1 Like

Something that would help us a lot to understand the problem would be this:

1. Open the application called ‘Terminal’
  2. In this application run the command:

eos-diagnostics

1. The above command will create a file with the information of your system (example: eos-diagnostic-160614_111731_UTC + 0100.txt); Send us this file so we can analyze and see a possible solution
1 Like

It does. To make things clearer:

1. Turn on the computer
  2. Plug in your headphones
  3. Enjoy music via your headphones
  4. Turn of the computer and unplug your headphones
  5. The next time you turn on the computer this error comes. Symptoms: no sound at all, the sound adjustment button from down is missing or it says there’s still a headphone plugged in.
  6. To solve this problem (to have sound again) I have to reboot the system again (I turn off then back on).

EDIT: It seems to be independent of the headphones now see my comment below.

Hi,

Here you go eos-diagnostic-190814_172906_UTC 0200.txt (1.1 MB)

And here’s a screenshot while the error is present:

EDIT: this drop down list “Kimeneti eszköz [output device]” has no items. I clicked around here on evry button and scroller but nothing happend.

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

Hello.

it is a fresh install of Endless OS or upgrade?

Update: During the last few days I haven’t even plugged in anything to the jack input. So it seems to be independent of the headphones as I experienced this problem many times (the last was 10 minutes ago).
I’m not sure about this but it seems to be related to another symptom: when I turn off the computer while the problem is present it shuts down very slow (more than two minutes). After the Endless logo is gone the comp is stilll running with a black screen with a white cursor in the top left position. I usually don’t wait more than 5minutes just simply press the power button and hold it. I know it’s not good. It might be related to the sound issue as I can recall: No sound = Slow shutdown

I bought an ACER laptop in MediaMarkt or Euronics in march or april of 2018 It came with Endless pre-installed. It used flatpak from the first boot. SO I guess it was 3.8 or later version of Endless I can’t recall. I like linux (I’ve been using linux distros for a few years) so I thought I should keep Endless. I keep updatingit eversince I brought my laptop home.

if i understand, you have buy the computer in 2018 and it was working fine.

i think it was an update of kernel than cause your problem. last EOS 3.6.2 use 5.0 linux kernel,
try older version of EOS, for exemple 3.5 ( have 4.18 kernel) on live usb or another linux, for exemple linux mint 19 ( 4.15 kernel )

Now, it seems to be totally independet from headphones. At times when I turn on the computer it doesn’t have sound (in Endless). When this happens the system does not see any output device (see screenshot above) if I plug in a headset via jack it does nothing: no sound and the system still doesn’t see any output device. The other case is that the system thinks there are headphones plugged in (via jack) and I get no sound. In that case if I plug in some headphones (or a quick plug in and plug out) doesn’t solve the issue (for a change :slight_smile: ) neither I get sound via the headphones (that I plug in). A reboot (shout down and a new power on) however does solves the issue afterwards I get sound and the system see the built in speakers or the plugged in headphones.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.