Unable to find the requested file

im using endless OS version 3.7.7 when i select my “videos” folder i get this error

“unable to find the requested file. please check the spelling and try again>”

please help

Hi, @lessy-Reeds!

Please reproduce the error and send us a diagnostic by following the steps from this article:How do I make a debug log of Endless OS?

Can you please also describe the problem in more detail?

• Do you try to open the file from within an application?
  • Do you try to open the file from within the Documents Application and double-click it, to have it opened by the default application for the filetype?

eos-diagnostic-200313_144954_UTC 0200[1].txt (900.1 KB)

how to i sort out the “music” and “download” folders to be above the wastebasket?

Hi,

the problem you encounter is:

• The folders displayed on the sidebar point to some location in your Home directory. For example, “Music” in the Sidebar points to “Music” directly in your Home directory. If this path does not exist, you face the error message from above
  • To fix it, create the Folder “Videos” in your Home Directory.

If you want to have these standard directories (Music, Videos, Pictures, …) point to some other location - like on a second disk - you can edit this file:

~/.config/user-dirs.dirs

which contains the paths in question. As a reference, per default the file looks like:

# This file is written by xdg-user-dirs-update
# If you want to change or add directories, just edit the line you're
# interested in. All local changes will be retained on the next run.
# Format for general directories is XDG_xxx_DIR="$HOME/yyy", where yyy is a shell-escaped
# homedir-relative path, or XDG_xxx_DIR="/yyy", where /yyy is an
# absolute path.
# Format for desktop-file speficic directories is
# xxx.desktop="yyy" where xxx.desktop is a valid directory"
# keyfile in $XDG_DATA_DIRS/xdg-user-dirs.
# No other format is supported.
# 
XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/."
XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Documents"
XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Downloads"
XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/Music"
XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Pictures"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/Videos"

It’s not possible to sort the upper part of the sidebar. Only your favorites, which are beneath the default locations can be sorted to your like.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.