Unable to update/install anything

I see a number of people with similar problems post here so I am assuming that is more helpful to the endless team than for me to create a new separate thread?

Anyway, just bought a new laptop (Acer Aspire E 14) and it beautifully comes with the Endless OS, which I am so far enjoying. Nonetheless, I am having problems possibly related to those posted here: installations and updates in the app centers keep failing and returning to display the green install/update button. Some almost reach completion at 97% or 99% but still ended the same way. Sometimes when I reclick the install/update it loads right where it left off ie. the 97%, 99%, etc; other times, it restarts from 1%.

Here is the eos diagnostic file: eos-diagnostic-170921_171547_UTC 0700.txt (503.9 KB)

As noted on this thread, we have fixed a few problems with application updates over the past few months, but we have identified a problem in the ostree library that we believe is responsible for most ofc the remaining problems updating flatpak applications and/or the operating system. For most users, updates are working fine, but on a rare occasion two ostree pruning operations from separate processes overlap (e.g., installing/updating/removing an app while an automatic operating system update is in progress), and this can leave the system in an unexpected state where subsequent updates will continue to fail.

We are working with the upstream community on a permanent fix to avoid the possibility of entering this failed state (see https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/pull/813 for details), but in the meantime an existing user who cannot update will need to manually clean up the failure so that updates can proceed as normal. We have written a script to do this, and it is available starting with Endless OS 3.2.5.

So, if you are unable to update the operating system, or if you have an app that consistently refuses to install or update, please try the following from a terminal window (e.g., type “terminal” in the desktop search bar)…

If you are already on Endless OS 3.2.5 or later:

sudo eos-fix-ostree-repo

If you are on an earlier version of Endless OS and cannot update the operating system:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/endlessm/eos-meta/master/eos-tech-support/eos-fix-ostree-repo
chmod +x eos-fix-ostree-repo
sudo ./eos-fix-ostree-repo

Enter your password when requested, and wait until the script finishes running before doing anything else. (In particular, please don’t open the app center while this operation is in progress.) Once the script is done, please try to upgrade again, and let us know if you still have any problems.

@fishychachki I see that you are on Endless OS 3.1.1, and some problems with app installations have been fixed since then. I can see that part of the problem is network timeouts, which might be handled better in a newer version of the app center, but I’m not sure off hand. If you are able to update to the latest version of the operating system (Settings --> Details --> Check for updates now), you might have a better experience with app installations. It will be a relatively large download, though, and looking at your log I suspect it will take a very long time on your Internet connection.

@NofFyddink The 3.3.0 release is planned for mid October. In the meantime, keep an eye out for an announcement (in a week or two) on our community forum regarding a beta testing program if you’d like to try out a preview before the general release.

Roddy

3 Likes

Thanks, Roddy.
I will definitely participate in beta testing. I really like this operating system and I want to help you make it even better.

It works.
Endless platform has been update.
Now my Endless OS version is 3.2.6 and the annoying update notification disappeared.

Mine works fine too :slight_smile:
Just an update in the app-center, “framework for applications” gives up while downloading, but installing apps is not a problem anymore.
Many thanks!

I’m glad to hear that this solution has been helping people.

In the meantime, we have another improvement to the script, so if you still have problems with not being able to update after running the version of the script in Endless OS 3.2, please try downloading the very latest version of the script from GitHub until it is released as part of Endless OS 3.3 (sometime in October):

rm -f eos-fix-ostree-repo
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/endlessm/eos-meta/master/eos-tech-support/eos-fix-ostree-repo
sudo ./eos-fix-ostree-repo

Please be patient. It may take several minutes (without any status updates) for the command to complete. Wait until the command line prompt returns, and then proceed with OS and app updates as normal.

(Note that the rm command run first is just in case you had previously downloaded an older version.)

@NofFyddink I just wanted to follow up and let you know that we have launched our beta testing initiative. See https://community.endlessos.com/t/endless-os-3-3-beta-testing-has-started/4239 for details.

Thanks, @roddy
I’ll definitely participate.

1 Like

/sysroot/home/mamidi/eos-diagnostic-180131_205358_UTC+0530.txt

cant install vlc player. here’s what I got
eos-diagnostic-180212_074244_UTC 0800.txt (752.0 KB)

1. Open the application called ‘Terminal’
  2. In this application run the command:
sudo ./eos-fix-ostree-repo && sudo flatpak update

is this the last thing I’m supposed to see??? :

Marking commits with missing objects as partial in /sysroot/ostree/repo

@pogi

Settings>Details>Look for updates

Hello guys, just installed Endless OS on my Lenovo computer. Really like it but have an issue with appcenter which doesn’t show any app for installation. Can anyone help me how to fix this issue? Thanks a lot in advance.

@jirikr
Something that would help us a lot to understand the problem would be this:

eos-diagnostics

1. The above command will create a file with the information of your system (example: eos-diagnostic-160614_111731_UTC + 0100.txt); Send us this file so we can analyze and see a possible solution

A post was split to a new topic: Unable to install Encyclopedia

Hello!
I like the endless os 3.1.1
But there are some problems:

When i try to update the os by clicking the button in “details” the system says, it is starting the download and after a few seconds it tells me, that it failed.

I’m not able to install apps in the app center. I can click the “install” button and after a few seconds, the “install” button returns and nothing had happened. Same with updating apps/

Can somebody help me?

@Vita_Burakova

sudo ./eos-fix-ostree-repo && sudo flatpak update

Thank you so much.
I did as you said, but nothing has changed. Can I try anything else to solve the problem?

@Vita_Burakova
Something that would help us a lot to understand the problem would be this:

eos-diagnostics

1. The above command will create a file with the information of your system (example: eos-diagnostic-160614_111731_UTC + 0100.txt); Send us this file so we can analyze and see a possible solution