A stop job is running for User Manager for user 101

I have noted some extended shutdown times on occasion while running Endless OS 3.2 on two different notebook computers: A Lenovo ThinkPad X100e, and a Dell Latitude E6230. Not sure if it matters, but both machines were using an SSD as the primary storage device.

Pressing ESC will drop me to a verbose screen where I see “A stop job is running for User Manager for user 101” and a timer counting up to 1 minute, 30 seconds. After the timer expires, the computer will shutdown normally.

I have not been able to duplicate the circumstances of the delay - I have only noted it after the computers have been running for a few days, with multiple wake/sleep cycles and various apps running.

I’d be happy to post a log file - just tell me which file to post and how to retrieve it.

I have also seen this but haven’t been able to determine under what circumstances it happens or dig into it.

A regular debug log (eos-diagnostics) should be helpful, although the default configuration will wipe the logs on every shutdown so it could be hard to obtain one. You can enable persistent logging with sudo mkdir -p /var/log/journal although beware that it will use a lot of space and possibly wear down your storage faster, so disable it when you’re done. (I think the way to do it is sudo rm -r /var/log/journal but I hope someone will correct me if I’m wrong!) See https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/System_Administrators_Guide/s1-Using_the_Journal.html#s2-Enabling_Persistent_Storage for more information.

Agreed that this is exceptionally annoying. I get this one too on my work machine. It’s no help to say that before 3.2 there were two things that caused this delay (the other was CUPS) but this is a thing I care deeply about. A fix won’t be coming into our next regular release at the start of August but I can say that this is something I really want to fix as soon as we can.

As a hack workaround, if you want to speed this up you can hit Ctrl+Alt+Del 7 times within 3 seconds after you’ve hit escape and it’ll immediately reset.

Good news! There should be a fix for this in what is likely to be 3.2.4 releasing any day now.

1 Like