Acer Aspire V3-551-8479 Keyboard / Touchpad not working

I installed EndlessOS on a friend Latptop on which I had Ubuntu.
One time out of 2 the keyboard and mousePad do not work after a reboot.
When I had Ubuntu on it, I could follow instruction found on the net to fix that known issue with that model.

But on Endless, how do I proceed to tweak Ubuntu to fix this problem ?
JF

Last time I used this article and it fixed my problem (when the Acer laptop was running Ubuntu)

Check if you have a file named crc_enabled at /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio2/ if yes, check if its content shows 0x00
If its 0x00 then change it to 1
Now at /etc/default/grub alter the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line as GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet i8042.nomux=1 i8042.reset" and sudo update-grub
Reboot

P.S. If there is no ‘crc_enabled’ file in the above directory, you can very well create one and take things forward as described.eos-diagnostic-180622_120420_UTC-0400.txt (697.6 KB)

Permission denied, why ?
root@endless:/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0# echo 1 >crc_enabled
-bash: crc_enabled: Permission denied

How can I create a file in : /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0

JF
Seem to have permission problem

BTW I fixed that keyboard AND TOUCHPAD problems using different versions of Ubuntu on that same LAPTOP

I just want to know if Endless can allow me to do it, or if it’s too well protected to allow me to do it

I just need to create a simple file in /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0#

JF

Is it possible for me to do that ? In Ubuntu, those steps fixed my problems with that Laptop
JF

Simply need to do that, and I did it in the past on different Ubuntu version without problems

Check if you have a file named crc_enabled at /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio2/ if yes, check if its content shows 0x00
If its 0x00 then change it to 1
Now at /etc/default/grub alter the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line as GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet i8042.nomux=1 i8042.reset” and sudo update-grub
Reboot

I know you can’t solve everything for everyone and that you must have priorities.

I will simply move to another distro for this specific computer.
JF
Just sad as the owner is not good with computer and beside the keyboard / touchpad not working, Endless would have been the best distro and the FIX I already have tested and used for this customer, would have worked… If I could apply it (if system was not lockedDown)

I was playing on my Endless on my personal laptop and it is working so well !

How could I help you help me fix my Touchpad / Keyboard problem on another laptop I have installed EndlessOS on for someone else ?

Last time I send you the eOS diagnostic, I told you I knew to fix it in a normal ubuntu and got no feedback…

Please
JF

@Jean-Francois_Bourde https://support.endlessm.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

1 Like

If possible, I would still need help on this
TouchPad/Keyboard not working one time out of 3 after reboot
JF
tks !
I would really love to leave Endlesss on that portable as I know Ubuntu can work with a simple tweak

ok I have been answered it is not possible by endless support over eMail
Tks
JF