Add statistics software

In gnu/linux there are good statistical software packages that are very useful for teaching. LibreOffice Calc has a basic staddistical package that may suffice in most cases in primary education, but in secondary education it is aimed at slightly more complex statistical tests in addition to the possibility of interacting with other graphical interfaces and file formats that are consider de facto standards (like SPSS *.sav format).

Therefore I propose the addition of the following software:
GNU PSPP
SOFA Statistics
Gretl

These applications work quite well for the purposes I expose, but I imagine it would help to have software like GNU Octave as a replacement for Matlab and R (R-Commander).

Thank you

@haevalencia
https://support.endlessm.com/hc/en-us/articles/210527183-Can-I-install-Linux-software-and-apps-from-Ubuntu-Fedora-and-others-on-Endless-

@LeandroStanger I appreciate your attention, but I don’t understand the meaning of your answers.

I’m new to Endless OS, but I’ve been using GNU/Linux distributions for years, and the first thing I did was read the documentation (which got me here first).

Although there is some effervescence to package the applications using Flatpak, only few developers are doing so now and especially in the GNU project they have their own standardized distribution system or an alternative one like Guix. Even you can read a related request on the PSPP mailing list

Thank you

Thanks again, but do you read my answers?

I know the Flatpak website and I have installed many applications available there and in other repositories. The request is for applications that are not in that format and whose authors don’t intend to port them to a new format.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi there,

thanks for your suggestion. I’ve added the programs you suggested to our backlog, although I can’t guarantee when or if we’ll get to them. Our ambition is to make Endless generally useful for any task that you want to do on a computer. In the interim, if any of our users package any of these apps into Flatpak themselves get in touch and we’ll do what we can to help with distribution.

2 Likes

Thank you. I dont know the priorities you use, but including free replacements for proprietary software not available on gnu/linux systems is always a good idea.

A small update … Making a tour of the projects (mailing list) that I mentioned in the first message, there is little or no interest in supporting the short or medium term Flatpak format natively.

However, there are two interested projects, which could assign a certain priority to developers with more knowledge in Flatpak to help package such applications (pinging offering help would be welcome). The first is Jamovi whose link of interest is here and JASP here.

Both would replace most of the applications mentioned above except Octave.

March 1, 2018: Jasp 0.8.6 adds support for Flatpak and and GNU Octave is now available on Flathub.

1 Like

Jamovi is already part of flathub, so I suppose I give this thread closed, thank you.

Can I run SPSS in my Endless OS? @haevalencia @LeandroStanger

As of version 3.0 Endless OS has adopted Flatpak, a new application distribution system

@LeandroStanger Those types of answers dont work and dont contribute much.

@CrystalSantiago I dont know the current distribution form of SPSS, but if it is the classic binary installer *.bin there would be no problem, you just have to select the installation directory inside /home.

@haevalencia thank you. Thats a more straightforward answer. I’d try to check if its a *.bin file and try to install.