Arduino Development on Endless OS

One of the reason I am using Endless OS is the availability of Arduino IDE for Electronics prototyping.

Installing Arduino :slightly_smiling_face:

1. Open App Center (More Apps) with Internet connection on
  2. From the Left Column Select Dev Tool >> Arduino IDE , click to install

Now the problem will happen when you try to Upload sketch/code to the Arduino Hardware.
The system will not grant access to Serial Port.

Serial port will appear as “ACM0” inside Arduino IDE >> Tools >> Port >> dev/tty/ACM0
It could be “ACM1” or “ACM2” in case of multiple serial devices like modem or some other hardware !
After connecting Arduino Board to computer this Port should appear but upload might not work !

Solution :blush:

1. Open Terminal App
  2. Paste the following command line and press enter on keyboard
    ls -l /dev/ttyACM0

Terminal will return
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 166, 0 Feb 28 00:16 /dev/ttyACM0

1. Now, Paste the second command line and press enter on keyboard
    sudo chmod a+rw /dev/ttyACM0

Terminal will return
[sudo] password for yourOS_AC_Name:
asking to enter the account’s password, by the way user account must be Root or Administrative , guest or limited account won’t allow this modification.

1. Enter the password which will be invisible as you type it.
    Hit enter after inserting the password
    if password is typed right Serial Port Access to Hardware will be Authorized

2. Now you can Upload Arduino Codes

@Demon_Cloud Thank you so much for this post! I just purchased an Arduino this weekend, and your post was very helpful for me to get started.

It is a bit annoying that this workaround has to be provided every time the device is reconnected, and that sometimes (at least in my experience) the board shows up on ttyACM0 and sometimes on ttyACM1.

I think we can and should do better, so I’ve opened up a ticket for us to improve the situation. I’m not sure yet whether this is access we can provide within the flatpak itself (in which case I would have an update soon), or if it is a permission we have to open up in the OS itself (in which case it may have to wait for an OS update, which would likely be over a month away). I’ll update this topic when we have a fix ready.

Roddy

1 Like