ARM Image Download?

Looking forward to giving EndlessOS a shot, very excited about what you are working on!

One question: I was able to download an ISO image for Intel hardware but I’d really like to try EndlessOS on ARM (I have an ODroid board and I’d like to see how it performs).

Is there a way to download the ARM image file?

Jason

1 Like

@jjg

1 Like

Hi Jason, we only produce ARM images for pre-installation on the Endless Mini and Mission Mini hardware. We don’t support any other ARM boards at present so there isn’t any real sense to providing the images as they wouldn’t work - the boot loader, kernel and device tree are all, to a lesser or greater extent, specific to the hardware / board we have inside the Mini. I personally would like to see us select some widely-available ARM boards like ODroid, Pine 64 or Raspberry Pi and provide downloadable images for some of these, but each board specific enablement/optimisation/support work and we’ve just not found the time so far.

2 Likes

Equally interesting is the possibility of running non-Endless OS images on the Endless Mini. That has the same issues though: the devtree, kernel, boot loader, etc. are very specific to the Mini even though the board is an ODroid-C1 (Amlogic Meson). That might be an easier project to start with though.

Endless provides their changes from upstream in their repos so you can see what modifications they’ve made in the kernel, X.org, etc. That should also help in porting other distros to work on their ARM hardware.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, it makes sense that the barrier is supporting the diversity of hardware. Mostly I’d just like to “test drive” EndlessOS on ARM hardware before pulling the trigger on ordering a Mini.

FWIW, if there’s a way for me to help “port” EndlessOS to some of these platforms point me in the right direction. I should have a Pinebook in hand soon as well as the Odroid and I wouldn’t mind taking a crack at making them work with Endless :slight_smile:

1 Like