Battery drain while suspended

Hello! I am using Endless OS 3.6.0 on an Asus X540MA (Pentium N5000) and I am experiencing a battery drain when the laptop is suspended. It looks as if it does not enter deep sleep state. Is there a way to force it?

Something that would help us a lot to understand the problem would be this:

1. Open the application called ‘Terminal’
  2. In this application run the command:

eos-diagnostics

1. The above command will create a file with the information of your system (example: eos-diagnostic-160614_111731_UTC + 0100.txt); Send us this file so we can analyze and see a possible solution

Here is the log:
eos-diagnostic-190623_092352_UTC 0300.txt (847.8 KB)

From what i saw in the logs, it seems your systems goes out of S3 sleep a few seconds after entering it. As a first attempt, i would recommend you to update to the latest BIOS (3.07 at the moment) and check any power related BIOS settings.

Just updated the bios but from the log it does not seem to make a difference:
eos-diagnostic-190623_155957_UTC 0300.txt (715.9 KB)

can you please post the output of:

cat /sys/power/mem_sleep

if there’s [s2idle] displayed, can you also try:

echo deep > /sys/power/mem_sleep

and then put your device to sleep

The first command shows “s2idle [deep]”, but the second one ends up with a “bash: /sys/power/mem_sleep: Permission denied” message.

Ok, it’s already in the correct state [deep]. Hm… good question, have you checked the BIOS settings too?

Nothing there - the Asus bios is pretty barebones even in “advanced” mode…

1. Do you have any externally connected devices, like a wireless Mouse? If yes, can you please disconnect them and try again
  2. Can you please temporarily disable bluetooth and try again.
systemctl stop bluetooth

Not sure if there is any difference - actually I think there is none :frowning: . Here is the log: eos-diagnostic-190625_075512_UTC 0300.txt (779.9 KB)
A friend of mine suggested to add an actual swap file to the system as systemctl hibernate returns “Failed to hibernate system via logind: Not enough swap space for hibernation” error. Unfortunately, even with a 8GB swap file (for a 4GB RAM system) the result was the same after a restart (actually hibernate shut the system down completely which was also not desirable) so I reverted back to the default config (with 5,5GB ZRAM).

Bump, bump, bump… :slight_smile:

closed #13

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.