Caps lock and num lock problem

is there any application which shows CPAS lock and NUM lock keys are enabled or not indication !
@mhall119 and @LeandroStanger
you have previosly repleid me and it was so much useful for me:smiley:
my laptop is acer aspire 315 and it didnt have any LED notification in the keyboard so i want them on our os …
Indication of NUM&CAPS keys in the bottom right side of Taskbar is really hepls us alot.And if no other application or this feature available in the os,please add this for the next update!!!

I believe this was something that got broke in the last couple updates. The cap locks and num lock never did show a persistent status icon, but and pop up similar to the volume and display brightness indicator did show up when pressing the cap lock/num lock key. I looked through the preferences and did not find anyway to turn those indicators on or off. Perhaps it will start working again in another update. I do agree it is useful to see a notice when the status of those toggles changes.

bill

@wove
Are you assuring this feature will be available in the next update?
And if available ,how can we acces it!??

@SHANKAR_PUDI
I am sorry my writing is not clearer. A notification for cap locks and num lock is part of the Gnome UI which Endless is built on. The notification still works in the Gnome environment and it was working in the Endless UI as well. The notifications stopped working a short while back. I assume it is a bug, a regression of some sort. I assume that the notification for caps lock and num lock will start working again after a future update. I do not know that for certain, but using an open source system does require a bit of patience. Endless developers show a great deal of attention to detail and my best guess is that the notifications will begin working again.

bill

1 Like

Ok …
Let’s wait for the next update…

@wove Thanks for reporting this regression. I was not aware of it, and there is currently no caps-lock indicator showing up on our development branch targeting the next major release based on GNOME 3.26. If this is in fact a feature in upstream GNOME 3.26, we have unintentionally lost it (perhaps during our last major rebase on GNOME 3.24), and we should be able to fix it. I’ll open a ticket in our internal bug tracker.

Roddy

@wove One of our developers tested this on a pristine install of Fedora 27 (based on GNOME 3.26), and also does not see any caps-lock or num-lock notifications. We’re not sure yet whether this is an upstream bug, or if the functionality was intentionally removed for some reason. (Or, maybe it was added downstream at some point and we dropped those downstream patches with a rebase.) In which distro / GNOME version do you see the working notifications?

Roddy

@roddy

my linux version is 4.13
And my Endless os version is 3.3.11 (180209-011634)
and its been a long time we haadnt any update!

@roddy, I apologize if I have sent you on a wild goose chase. I switched over to Endless OS as my only Linux OS some time ago and in honesty I have not been paying any attention to what has been going on with Gnome or other Linux distros.

I do definitely do recall an indicator for Caps Lock popping up when you hit the caps lock key much the same as the popup that appears when you strike the volume keys. There does seem to be a trend to doing away with special keys. My Thinkpad has lots of special keys and in Windows 10 many of those keys no longer have a function. Chrome OS has done away with the Caps lock key entirely. It is quite probable that Gnome is simply deprecating special key fucntions as well.

I read there is a Gnome Shell Extension to add a Caps lock indicator to the panel, however I read that Gnome is doing away with Panel indicators. My Thinkpad has a light on the caps lock key so you know when it is on, however an HP Pavilion X2 I have has no light on the key. If there is no indicator on the key it is very helpful for there to be a status indicator in the UI.

Again I apologize if I am simply making extra work for you.

bill

@SHANKAR_PUDI We typically aim to release OS updates once per month, and the ostree update to 3.3.12 was just published today. It is a minor release with some bug fixes, but no major new features.

@wove Thanks for the updated information. Perhaps the feature was present in GNOME 3.8, which we were using for quite a while before we upgraded to GNOME 3.22 (and started to get in better sync with upstream) for EOS 3.2. If GNOME did intentionally drop the behavior, I wonder why, as it seems like it would be useful. We’ll take the suggestion to add such a notification or a taskbar indicator as a feature request, but no promises (especially if there is a good reason why it was removed upstream).

Roddy

@roddy
You said that it may removed for a reason!
If there is really a reason,please let me know.And if even removed why do so?,
Why dont we have a separete section for TASKBAR in Settings which may gives accesess to user to make which should be appear on taskbar and which are not!.This makes the EOS more userfrienldy and more customisable.please take this a suggestion;;;;
@SHANKAR_PUDI