Computer heats up and the battery drains when using Libre Office

Hello everyone! I have an Asus Vivobook S14 since july this year and the battery has been really great, when using Libre Office would last for about 7-8 hours on a single charge. For about a week now i noticed a severe battery drain whenever i use Libre Office, also something strange that i noticed is that the fan turns on although that never happened before and the laptop starts heating up. This has resulted in about a 2-3 hour battery loss from that initial 7-8 hours i was able to get. I do not know the cause of this situation, but i assume is something to do with the software since it worked fine before. I would like to know if there is something i could do, or perhaps if i could install a downgraded version that does not require many system sources since i would rather prefer a long lasting battery than having acces to the latest software features. To anyone who is able to respond, thank you!

Something that would help us a lot to understand the problem would be this:

1. Open the application called ‘Terminal’
  2. In this application run the command:

eos-diagnostics

1. The above command will create a file with the information of your system (example: eos-diagnostic-160614_111731_UTC + 0100.txt); Send us this file so we can analyze and see a possible solution

It could have something to do with the Hardware acceleration in LibreOffice’s UI. Disable the following two settings:

• Allow Use of OpenCL (Options - Libreoffice - OpenCL)
  • Use OpenGL for all rendering (Options - Libreoffice - View)

Restart Libreoffice and listen if your fans spin up again.

eos-diagnostic-191215_191008_UTC 0200.txt (964.3 KB)

I have tried following your instructions, however there is no option to use OpenGL under the options menu. I have disabled the use of Open CL, however the fans still turn on and the problem persists.

I wrote the original answer on Windows, and for some odd reasons, the Option has a different name there … it’s called “Use hardware acceleration” in EOS.

I have followed the instructions in the video, but sadly they did not work, as the fan still turns on.

Does the Problem occur immediatly after starting LibreOffice, or does it show up when working for some time with some documents?

The fan starts spinning after about a minute from the moment i launch Libreoffice, even if i am not typing anything or using the program in any way, but it takes about 5-10 minutes before the laptop heats up.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.