Creating rationalplan.desktop to be add to desktop

Hi,
I would like to create below desktop file and add it to desktop which i copied the desktop file from debian installer.

rationalplan-single.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Terminal=false
Icon=/sysroot/home/khairul/.local/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/rationalplan-single.png
Type=Application
Categories=Application;Office;ProjectManagement;
Exec=/sysroot/home/khairul/Downloads/RationalPlanS-5.3.7811/RationalPlan/RationalPlan.sh
MimeType=application/x-rationalplan-single;
Name=RationalPlan
GenericName=Single Project Management Software
Comment=Use the Single Project version to handle independent projects by viewing WBS and Gantt charts, allocate resources and estimate costs
Keywords=Project Management Software;Project Management Tool;Project Management Application;Task Management;Project Management;Project Planning Software;Task Scheduling;Task Schedule;Gantt Chart;Critical Path;Work Breakdown Structure;Milestones;

I’ve put the rationalplan.desktop file in /sysroot/home/khairul/.local/share/applications then i run the eos-add-to-desktop RationalPlan

Result: Not appear on desktop

wjt@camille:~$ eos-add-to-desktop --help
Usage:
   eos-add-to-desktop appid
Where:
   appid = application id (where desktop file is named appid.desktop)

It’s unclear from your post whether you named the file rationalplan-single.desktop or rationalplan.desktop but you need to run eos-add-to-desktop with the correct name (and the correct case), so one or other of the following:

eos-add-to-desktop rationalplan-single
eos-add-to-desktop rationalplan

You could also consider:

desktop-file-validate /sysroot/home/khairul/.local/share/applications/rationalplan-single.desktop

to see if the file itself is valid.

$ desktop-file-validate rationalplan.desktop 
rationalplan.desktop: warning: key "Encoding" in group "Desktop Entry" is deprecated
rationalplan.desktop: warning: value "Application;Office;ProjectManagement;" for key "Categories" in group "Desktop Entry" contains a deprecated value "Application"

OK, so let’s check some things:

• Is rationalplan.desktop in the output of ls -l ~/.local/share/applications
  • Does /sysroot/home/khairul/.local/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/rationalplan-single.png exist? (You may also be able to just write Icon=rationalplan-single.)
  • Is /sysroot/home/khairul/Downloads/RationalPlanS-5.3.7811/RationalPlan/RationalPlan.sh executable? (ie, you can run it with just that path in a terminal, not with bash /sysroot/home/khairul/Downloads/RationalPlanS-5.3.7811/RationalPlan/RationalPlan.sh)
  • Does “RationalPlan” show up in desktop search results? (It’s the same database.)
  • Does your eos-add-to-desktop invocation exactly match the basename, without .desktop extension, of the name of the file in ~/.local/share/applications?

You should also make sure, that the .desktop file has the correct permission and metadata:

gio set ~/.local/share/applications/rationalplan-single.desktop metadata::trusted yes
chmod 755 ~/.local/share/applications/rationalplan-single.desktop 

Now if your file is syntactically correct, you should be able to execute it from with Nautilus:

gio open ~/.local/share/applications

and then double click it. If that works,

eos-add-to-desktop rationalplan-single

should work. As it seems that you are using some deprecated keys in your desktop file, i recommend you to take a look at the current specification:

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html

thanks @egrath !!
finally RationalPlan appeared on the desktop!! but … the bash script doesn’t run the application when i run from desktop :frowning:

it can’t be executed with full path,

$ /sysroot/home/khairul/Downloads/RationalPlanS-5.3.7811/RationalPlan/RationalPlan.sh
Error: Could not find or load main class com.sbs.jpm.Main
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sbs.jpm.Main

but can be run via ./RationalPlan.sh in that folder.

is it because of the JDK path?

export PATH=/sysroot/home/khairul/Downloads/jdk-12.0.2/bin:$PATH

It seems, that the shell script for RationalPlan is using some relative paths. Add a

Path=/sysroot/home/khairul/Downloads/RationalPlanS-5.3.7811/RationalPlan

to your .desktop file and it should work (this will set the working directory before running the script)

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.