Dark screen after computer sleeps and wakes up

OS Endless 4.0.10; Build ID: 221006-145709
GNOME version 3.38.5

Issue: when the computer “wakes up” after sleep it turns into dark screen which can be fixed only by shutting down and turning on again
How can I solve this problem?

Thanks in advance

When the issue happens, please restart your computer and then create a diagnostic by opening Terminal and running:

eos-diagnostics

Upload the generated file into this thread for further analysis.

eos-diagnostic-221107_175732_UTC 0300.txt (1.0 MB)

Sorry, don’t see any real issue why the system behaves like it does. Eventually upgrading the BIOS to the latest version available may help in your issue as there are some indications that lead to that assumption in the log.

Also please check the power related settings in the BIOS, but can’t assist you further as almost every bios is a little bit different.

1. Thank you very much for your answer, but unfortunately the situation with laptop went worse… From recent time it shows the black screen in the middle of the work… One time it shows the message
  2. How can I update bios on ASUS?

Hi, according to what is shown on your photo, it seems that your device has some issues with the hardddrive and/or filesystem it contains.

If it’s just a “soft-fault”, this can be fixed with the following procedure:

1. Start your computer with a Endless OS Live Media (USB or DVD), open Terminal there and run:
sudo fsck -fsyM $(blkid -t LABEL=ostree -o device)
  1. This will yield a output similar to:
  2. In my case everything was good, your output may state that there were repairs performed. If the command hangs for a long time or if it was unable to perform these repairs, your drive may have a hardware fault and needs replacement.
  3. Reboot your computer if the command finished successfully and verify if it now works without any issues.

Please keep us informed. If you don’t have Live Media at hand, please also let us know, there is another method which can be used to perform the above task, but it’s more complicated to do.

Hello!
Firstly, thank you for you help!
In fact, the problem occurs not when the laptop “sleeps” (we turned the settings to not sleep at all), it turns into a black screen every time after few minutes pass after the beginning of the work - it may turn a black screen even in the middle of the typing, etc
But when I boot OS Endless from USB - the problem does not occur!

I tried to do following:

1. When booting in ordinary way the command that you wrote yields
    karine@endless:~$ sudo fsck -fsyM $(blkid -t LABEL=ostree -o device)
    fsck from util-linux 2.36.1
    e2fsck 1.46.2 (28-Feb-2021)
    Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
    Pass 2: Checking directory structure
    Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
    Pass 4: Checking reference counts
    Pass 5: Checking group summary information
    ostree: 422053/31260672 files (0.3% non-contiguous), 10495367/125010513 blocks
    karine@endless:~$

2. While booting OS Endless from USB the command yields
    karine@endless:~$ sudo fsck -fsyM $(blkid -t LABEL=ostree -o device)

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
    Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
     #2) Think before you type.
     #3) With great power comes great responsibility.

fsck from util-linux 2.36.1
    e2fsck 1.46.2 (28-Feb-2021)
    Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
    Inode 5898523 extent tree (at level 1) could be narrower. Optimize? yes

Inode 6292590 extent tree (at level 1) could be narrower. Optimize? yes

Inode 6324079 extent tree (at level 1) could be narrower. Optimize? yes

Pass 1E: Optimizing extent trees
    Pass 2: Checking directory structure
    Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
    Pass 4: Checking reference counts
    Pass 5: Checking group summary information

ostree: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
    ostree: 681158/31260672 files (1.3% non-contiguous), 14492099/125010513 blocks
    karine@endless:~$

After all I decided to install OS Endless from this USB with reformat option.
But after installation and restarting the laptop with new-installed OS Endless, the problem with dark screen remains…
The message that I provided with screen-shots in one of my previous comments I didn’t see any more

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.