Digital audio on Endless OS

I like your approach, I like using Endless OS as a secure OS for work and learning.

But this OS could be a lot more interesting if the OS already had all the features for creating digital music. To be honest, I’m not that much of a software expert, so it’s hard to figure out what to do with ALSA, Jack-audio, etc.

Apparently, you have heard of the midi keyboard. We usually plug it into a USB port and run a so-called DAW like Samplitude (Magix.com) or Cakewolk (Bandlab.com) - this software already has all the audio drivers for digital sound, including General Midi SoundFonts.

When I run, for example, the LMMS (or Rosegarden) software on Endless OS, I don’t hear any sound at all. Why? The software requires ALSA, but how do I install it?

Therefore, I ask you to make an installer that will help us get everything we need for a DAW (LMMS, Rosegarden, etc.).

ALSA (and PulseAudio) are built into Endless OS. On my system, LMMS can play audio fine when I enter notes into the piano roll or the “Beat/Bassline” track.

Unfortunately I don’t have a MIDI device to hand to test this, but I think you may need to “connect” the MIDI keyboard to an instrument in the LMMS UI. https://docs.lmms.io/user-manual/4-production/4.5-using-midi has some brief documentation.

Thanks. The sound really appeared and even keyboard simulation works with ALSA sound. However, an external midi keyboard cannot be connected. Where can we config our USB-devices?

Thank you.

The sound has really appeared, and even keyboard simulation works with ALSA sound, for example, in the VMPK application.

But I still have no sound from midi keyboard. The midi keyboard seems to be connected correctly, even the Drumstick MIDI Monitor sees this keyboard. I have attached a file that was saved from a Drumstick MIDI monitor with my midi keyboard.

However, even though an external midi keyboard is connected, there is no midi sound in any available apps.

So it’s a mystery to me how to get sound from a midi keyboard.

In a previous post, I asked where can we set up our USB devices?

123456789drumstick midi.txt (2.91 KB)

Thank you.

The sound has really appeared, and even keyboard simulation works with ALSA sound, for example, in the VMPK application.

But I still have no sound from midi keyboard. The midi keyboard seems to be connected correctly, even the Drumstick MIDI Monitor sees this keyboard. I have attached a file that was saved from a Drumstick MIDI monitor with my midi keyboard.

However, even though an external midi keyboard is connected, there is no midi sound in any available apps.

So it’s a mystery to me how to get sound from a midi keyboard.

The Rosegarden app said that there is no sound because of Jackaudio:

Rosegarden 21.12 - AlsaDriver [ALSA library version 1.2.5.1, module version 5.8.0-14-generic, kernel version 5.8.0-14-generic]

123456789drumstick midi.txt (2.91 KB)

There’s no such single place. It looks like LMMS should have access to USB devices.

I’m afraid I can’t test this myself because I do not have any MIDI devices.

Endless OS doesn’t include Jack, only PulseAudio. We hope in Endless OS 5 to move to a new audio server, PipeWire, which is Jack- and PulseAudio-compatible.

LMMS certainly needs to improve on its beginner’s guide.

Here is the correct instruction for getting sound:

1. Audio settings >audio interface> pulseaudio

2. MIDI settings > ALSA sequencer

3. At each channels choose your current MIDI-device

Thanks again for EOS.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.