Dreams of a flawless Brasero remain dreams

I’m stuck on EOS 3.5.8, is that bad? EOS 4.0.0 is on the doorstep and Debian 11 is out and I’m still stuck. What’s the reason, can anyone tell me? Here comes Rhythmbox removed from the pre-installed apps block! Great news! By the way, what can’t be said about the unsinkable, “immortal highlander” Brasero. The app, which works within 50% of its stated capabilities, stands like a rock. I wonder if this project is supported, corrected, developed? The impression is that it is not.

There are no alternative apps at all on Flathub on this topic. There is, however, a stripped down Power CD, but even here the problem is that you can only burn a Data-CD.

Yes, I understand that nobody but me needs an application which allows to burn DVD-video or Audio-CD on optical disc without problems. But these features are claimed by Brasero:
1. Creating an Audio-CD - doesn’t work.
2. Burning data to disc - it works.
3. Creating DVD from ready-made structure - doesn’t work (doesn’t see VOB files). Had to create ISO file first with genisoimage utility and then…
4. …burning ISO file to disc - works

To burn the Audio-CD I used the wodim utility, which works in Endless OS via sudo, because there is no access to the cdrom group, which is apparently read-only, and I can’t add my user to that group.

Now a question for the Endless OS developers. Is there a plan for the near future: to do away with pre-installed apps? What’s the point of apps that can’t be uninstalled? The ones that aren’t used, but take up hard drive space? Thank you.

Thanks for taking the time to post these questions & feedback!

Can you please manually check for updates and apply any that are shown as available, wait some time for the upgrade to be attempted, then post a diagnostic log here?

I think you’re right about that. It’s an unfortunate situation, and not one that we have the resources to address at the moment. Indeed it would be great in future if the app were to be fixed and improved and to appear on flathub, or if other options appear.

Which device node are you using with wodim, is it /dev/sr0? You could run ls -l /dev/sr0 to see which group owns the device and add yourself to that group instead.

Yes, we’re slowly getting through that. So far we’ve done at least LibreOffice, Chromium, Rhythmbox, Cheese, and any others I forgot. We’ll continue this migration as resources permit. Most of the remaining apps do present some challenges like not being available on Flathub (like Brasero) or requiring careful migration of user data (e.g. if we move from the preinstalled Shotwell to the Flathub version, we don’t want users suddenly to lose their photo database). There’s some discussion here: Apps that have flatpaks

Daniel thank you for your quick response.

Yes I am using /dev/sr0
Here are some command outputs:

Yes, I saw this discussion, and I’m glad that someone is dealing with this problem. I know the name Bryan Quigley, and I am very grateful to him for his support on GitHub on restoring the XviD codec excluded from Avidemux application.

The cdrom group exists and is defined in /lib/group. What was the problem you encountered when trying to add your user there?

I tested and it works here: sudo usermod -a -G cdrom user

Thanks. i will try it.

The problem is that I have no rights to edit /lib/group and apparently for this reason I cannot add my user here.
And as far as I know, usermod only works with additional groups (/etc/group) where cdrom is not present.
Here is the output of wodim and sudo wodim in simulation mode:

So that leaves me with two options: either somehow prescribe cdrom in /etc/group, or keep using sudo.

Thanks for your help!

Hmm yes, you are right, this does not work as indicated.

I think it is indeed appropriate to duplicate the cdrom group into /etc/group , then you can add yourself to it. e.g. like this

sudo -i
grep cdrom /lib/group >> /etc/group
usermod -a -G cdrom user

I used the above commands and was able to add the cdrom group to /etc/group.
After that I added my user to the cdrom group.

user@endless:~$ cut -d: -f1 /etc/group|sort
adm
audio
cdrom
dialout
lpadmin
plugdev
root
shared
staff
sudo
systemd-journal
tty
user
video
user@endless:~$
user@endless:~$ groups
user adm cdrom sudo lpadmin systemd-journal
user@endless:~$
user@endless:~$ groups user
user : user adm sudo lpadmin systemd-journal cdrom

I restarted the system to update the groups.
Unfortunately this did not work and wodim still refuses to work.

user@endless:~$ wodim -v -dummy dev=/dev/sr0 -dao -eject speed=4 -pad -audio *.wav
TOC Type: 0 = CD-DA
wodim: Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limits.
wodim: Resource temporarily unavailable. Cannot get mmap for 12587008 Bytes on /dev/zero.

I started searching the internet for information about similar wodim errors.
It seems to me that this is a general problem associated with Debian and all its “descendants”.
And there is no simple solution.

I changed a parameter in the wodim.conf file:

sed -i 's/CDR_FIFOSIZE=12m/CDR_FIFOSIZE=6m/g' /etc/wodim.conf

After that the wodim utility started to work without sudo:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.