Emasculated Thunderbird

OK the lock-down of Apps has in someway locked the location of the local folders to a location Thunderbird e mail says is not compatible. It is impossible to reset this to where I want it to be i.e. in my Dropbox folder where my local files folder is located so it is available in a synchronised form on all of my computers. One it cannot be changed and two it is not possible to brows to the folder in the home folder as most of what is in there does not show up in the navigation. I need this feature to be able to use Thunderbird e mail effectively. How can I one unlock the location and two direct it to a location that does not show up in navigation?

1. Open the application called ‘Terminal’
  2. In this application run the command:

flatpak override --filesystem=home org.mozilla.Thunderbird

When put in as is I get “error Too many arguments”
sorry I am not a linux user for long dabbled with Ubuntu but more Mac and Windows and not a lot of command line!

To override permissions, you need to execute them in the Terminal as root:

sudo flatpak override --filesystem=home org.mozilla.Thunderbird

It will ask for your password. Enter it. When the command has been finished, you can verify the new permission with:

flatpak info --show-permissions org.mozilla.Thunderbird

This will output all the permissions granted to the given Application. In case of Thunderbird, it should look like:

[Context]
shared=network;ipc;
sockets=x11;wayland;pulseaudio;pcsc;
devices=dri;
filesystems=xdg-public-share:ro;xdg-download;xdg-run/gnupg:ro;home;~/.gnupg;
persistent=.thunderbird;

[Session Bus Policy]
org.freedesktop.Notifications=talk
org.gnome.keyring.SystemPrompter=talk
org.a11y.*=talk

The relevant part here is the filesystems entry, which now contains home.

Thank you so much for that Worked first time. Now I have all my baggage along with me again!
Again thank you all.

OK I am back again I do not get too much time to practice with Endless. The fix above works perfectly, to a point at first I thought it might have been the app update. When I opened up the system again and went to Thunderbird the local folders were gone and I had to run through the fix again. then there was a system update or it might have been the other way around but the same thing when I opened up endless no local folders so today I tried an experiment and after running the above fix again just logged out then back in again no problem then powered off started up again and local folders gone. so it seems this is only good while Endless is running after the fix as soon as it is closed down it reverts to the default location/setting. A bit of a pain but I can work with that, I am more trying it out to see how things are and when I can afford to get each of my children a computer and put this on for them so they will not need this fix. My plan is to hopefully do a remote link and set each up for them then I will be back for more help no doubt. I am not looking for a fix of the fix but thought I would just let anyone else who uses Thunderbird and local folders on another computer and keeps their local folders in the cloud what happens here on Endless so your prepared.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.