Endless laptop cooling system failing when returning from sleep/suspend state

Hello,
A week ago I installed EndlessOS (3.5.7 (190311-093720)) on my Asus A540S.
Till now i was running windows 10.

In October 2017 I contacted the endless customer service and I received very late the answer … because I needed my laptop and it continued to heat up suspiciously quickly I had to install windows 10 and problem got fixed the fan (cooling system) was working again.

A week ago I re-installed the endless OS on the same laptop in Oct 2017 and the problem continued to persist.

The laptop heats up … it gets very hot especially where there is the charging port.
The cooling system is “dead” !! I do not hear the sounds of the fan.

2april
*update: the cooling system is not starting when i turn it on from sleep/suspend state and because is not starting normally as should be my laptop is getting warmer i don’t hear the sound of the fan inside.

So my problem is this after a turn my laptop from sleep/suspend state the cooling system inside is not working because the laptop is heating up and i don’t hear any fan sounds like I do when I fully start it or restart.

Please help my out with this situation.
Best regards,
George

Something that would help us a lot to understand the problem would be this:

1. Open the application called ‘Terminal’
  2. In this application run the command:

eos-diagnostics

1. The above command will create a file with the information of your system (example: eos-diagnostic-160614_111731_UTC + 0100.txt); Send us this file so we can analyze and see a possible solution
1 Like

Hi,
I’m sending you the file @LeandroStanger and thank you againg for helping my !

eos-diagnostic-190402_154121_UTC 0300.txt (1.7 MB)

That really sounds like some strange problems with the ACPI Tables in your BIOS - those tables are used to let the operating system control various hardware specific things in your computer, like reading the current temperature, controlling fans and so on.

It occurs to often, that these tables are badly done by the vendor and only work with Microsoft’s ACPI Implementation as intended because they simply ignore errors in the tables introduced by the vendor.

Long story short:

1. See if there is a newer BIOS Firmware available for your Notebook, this often helps.
  2. If you have the latest BIOS, try to downgrade to a previous version if your Flash Tool allows it
  3. Boot with another Linux distribution like the latest Ubuntu 19.04 Beta to see if the problem still occurs with the latest Linux kernel.

Let us know your results. Good luck.

1 Like

@egrath updated the bios but i couldn’t to downgrade the tool doesn’t allows it. And with the Ubuntu 19.04 it won’t boot at all.
After I buyed this laptop i try to install windows 7 at the first screen it got a blue screen.

So i try with another OS, At installing ubuntu i could get to the installing process, but at the first start up it showed my a black screen and stayed like this for hours until i get into settings from grub menu and reset it from boot menu i don’t remeber exactly it was able to start … but i could’t able to find drivers for video card and the rezolution was very low i just installed windows 10 …

With Ubuntu 19.04 i choose installing ubuntu/ live version and from both i got the same result … just a black screen :frowning: not even the installing process was showing I let it like this for 2h and nothing.

Ok, so it seems that Endless is bootable and works as expected, with the one issue left that ACPI control of the fan does not work after getting back from standby. From what i saw so far from the diagnostics, your system has an AMI Aptio BIOS. There should be - at least theoretically - options available for modifying the ACPI behavior of the system. You should find these Settings under

Advanced->ACPI Settings

(according to https://ami.com/ami_downloads/Aptio_TSE_Users_Guide.pdf)

Try playing around with the Settings in there, but test after each setting to make sure if it changes the behavior or not.

Hi @egrath i already checked BIOS and i don’t have the ACPI Settings.
Aren’t some comands in the terminal to regulate some how the sensors?

There may be. Controlling Fans is something not standardized and almost always works through ACPI. I know of of some tools for various brands, maintained in some github repositories, but none of them are included in the major distributions.

Eventually the tool “fancontrol” could offer some help, but it’s not included in EOS.

Unfortunately, your current options are very limited (speak: I don’t know of any)

1 Like

Thank you @egrath unfortunately i don’t know what to do to fi this problem … i wish they could give us a fix as the problem is around 2017.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.