Endless OS 3.3.12 beta: Brightness of the screen

eos-diagnostic-180302_220907_UTC-0300.txt (765,0 KB)

1 Like

@LeandroStanger What is the symptom you are seeing? Are you unable to change the display brightness? Is the problem when using hotkeys on the keyboard, or when adjusting via the control center power settings?

Or, is it just a concern due to the warning messages showing up in the log? I’m unable to reproduce a problem adjusting the brightness when testing on two different laptop models, though I do see similar warnings in the log.

What do you get for the following?

/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gsd-backlight-helper --get-brightness

And:

/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gsd-backlight-helper --get-max-brightness

Can you adjust the brightness manually with the following?

sudo /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gsd-backlight-helper --set-brightness x

Where x is a number between 0 and the max brightness. (Well, you might not want to set it too low if you don’t have working hotkeys.)

Thanks.

Roddy

I can change the screen brightness but change in brightness is not responsive to the slider movement, kind of lags in response .

@LeandroStanger LeandroStanger,

Same bug here ! Nice catch !

@roddy
The problem when using hotkeys on the keyboard, or when adjusting via the control center power settings

@LeandroStanger Is the problem that the adjustment is slow, or is the problem that you are unable to adjust the brightness? Is this a new problem that showed up with 3.3.12 beta, or did you see it on 3.3.11, too? If you are unable to adjust at all, please try the commands I mentioned in the previous comment.

I’m pretty sure the laggy response has been a problem for a while, and I see that too. In my case, it takes about half a second per keypress. I do also see a glitch in using the slider, where sometimes an attempt to make a large adjustment only makes a small adjustment and the slider snaps back near the starting point. That might be a recent regression, and we’ll have to investigate.

Thanks.

Roddy

The problem that the adjustment is slow

Did see it on 3.3.11

Okay. Thank you for the clarification, @LeandroStanger. We have a ticket in our bug system, and we have reported it upstream: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=788288. Unfortunately, it is not easy to fix, and it is not a priority for Endless right now, so it may be a while before it gets fixed unless someone in the GNOME community works on it.

Roddy