Endless OS - Laptop hangs at shutdown

I am running Endless OS and my laptop hangs when shutting it down. The only possible correlation I could find is that is stays on for ‘too long’. I have to force shut it down. Once I power it back up, if I want to shut it down immediately, it works.

1 Like

Attached the eos-diagnostics.eos-diagnostic-201118_224902_UTC 0200.txt (1.1 MB)

1. Open the application called ‘Terminal
  2. In this application run the command:
sudo ostree admin upgrade

Thank you for the reply. It says No update available.

If you press ESC during shutdown you should see which steps are currently performed during the shutdown. Is there anything suspicious?

As soon as I press shut down it ‘closes’ the screen looks black, but not off. Like it’s getting ready to shut down, but doesn’t. ESC does not show me anything.

Managed to do the ESC trick and this is what was shown:

Any advice on this? Would rather not have to reinstall the whole thing.

There could be many different root causes for the issue which are very hard to diagnose remotely. But there’s a workaround - decrease the timeout to some lower value, like e.g. 15 seconds.

Open a Terminal, then enter:

sudo sed -i s/"#DefaultTimeoutStopSec=90s"/DefaultTimeoutStopSec=15s/g /etc/systemd/system.conf
sudo sed -i s/"#DefaultTimeoutAbortSec="/DefaultTimeoutAbortSec=15s/g /etc/systemd/system.conf
sudo systemctl daemon-reload

This will not fix your root issue, but will gracefully complete the shutdown after a timeout of 15 seconds.

Many thanks! Will try this.

Could this result in issues (soft/hardware)? If it works as a hard shutdown, I know it’s not something good long-term.

No no issues. The timeouts are very (extremely) conservative for Workstation usage and are by default way to high imho.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.