Endless OS slow on Lenovo Z50-70 laptop

I have installed endless OS on a Lenovo Z50-70 laptop alongside Windows and its running slow. The computer is an i5 1.6 with 8gb ram and it feels very sluggish overall. I have checked the ram usage and its only 1.6GB and there’s nothing hogging the CPU. App installs take longer than they should and opening chrome takes about 30 seconds. it’s running on a hard drive not ssd so I’m wondering if that’s the cause of the issue. overall it feels dissapointing though.

I am also unable to get Pulse effects to run at startup which means to get sound equalised you have to open the app and close it again. how can I enable this?

I have also followed the I structions on here to enable dark mode in the OS but they don’t work either. I have done all updates etc

I installed in legacy mode not UEFI, which is best to set in bios?

Any ideas?

I happen to have the same laptop. Here is my experience: I have found that this laptop had been running slow with Windows 10 even when I first got it. This laptop can actually run fast if you have an extra 4gb of ram. I waited until the price of DDR3 ram came down and I purchased a piece of 8gb ram. I removed one of rams from the laptop and added the 8gb ram(Now I have 12gb ram in this laptop). Right away the laptop started running 50% faster. Then I decided to upgrade the hard drive to ssd. It is now operating at doubled the efficiency from the original setup. I do not need to buy another laptop until perhaps the next Windows version. My experience with Endless OS (I tried with 3 different computers of different spec), yes it uses more computer resources for the OS to run well but it is a good Linux distro.

Hi, it’s not my computer, I am setting it up for someone else. I agree about ram and ssd but it’s their budget. Do you know how to set Pulse effects to run at startup or do you have a different solution to EQ the sound and have it always set across all apps. the sound is naff otherwise.

I have not tried Endless OS with my laptop yet.

Something that would help us a lot to understand the problem would be this:

1. Open the application called ‘Terminal’
  2. In this application run the command:

eos-diagnostics

1. The above command will create a file with the information of your system (example: eos-diagnostic-160614_111731_UTC + 0100.txt); Send us this file so we can analyze and see a possible solution

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.