Endless Screen freeze BUG That causes Huge Inconvenience

Hello
After the latest Update this weird bug started to appear for no reason screen just freezes even though I can still hear a voice or move the mouse but nothing else only option is to shut down the laptop and start it again ( very rarely it gets fixed if I wait for 2-3 min but mostly it doesn’t work)
P.s I really like Endless it is great for all my needs and I don’t want to instal windows because of this bug

1. Which applications are open when this occurs?
  2. Can you please verify if you can switch to the Console by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F2 (if you’re on a Notebook, you probably need to press a Fn-Key to get F2)
    2.1 If you can, please log in there and run eos-diagnostics, then reboot with reboot and upload the diagnostic

hey

1. it happens randomly (So it has really nothing to do with applications I guess) sometimes even without any application being opened or only just one such as VLC media player it makes simply no sense and I can tell that it started to happen after the latest update
    Oh and yeah there was this application called ‘videos’ which would make it freeze all the time for whatever reason
  1. eos-diagnostic-210123_174102_UTC 0400.txt (2.2 MB)

I assume some regression in Xorg or GNOME Shell:

gnome-shell[744]: gnome-shell: Fatal IO error 4 (Interrupted system call) on X server :0.

Can you please execute the following command:

sudo sed -i s/.*WaylandEnable.*/WaylandEnable=true/g /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf

This will enable (the not yet official) Wayland Session instead of the Xorg one used by default. Please verify if the problem still persists with it (you need to reboot after running the command to take effect)

I don’t know how to execute the following command WHERE IS TUTORIAL?

I am trying to run this command in terminal but it says there is no such file or directory

“sed: couldn’t open temporary file /etc/gdm3/sed2m5lfa: Permission denied”

It says this when i try to execute it
"We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

[sudo] password for user: "
What password ?

Enter your Password.

I can not type anything at all after i get that Question “Password for user” only thing that works is pressing enter which later says “sorry, try again”

I have deleted the password and give it another try in terminal but now it simply does nothing
user@endless:~$ sudo sed -i s/.WaylandEnable./WaylandEndable=true/g /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf
user@endless:~$ sudo sed -i s/.WaylandEnable./WaylandEndable=true/g /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf
user@endless:~$

wtf

You need to enter the command exactly as it is (it seems you didn’t wrote the asterisk). Even if exactly entered, the command isn’t meant to return any message, it just changes a line in a configuration file. You can verify if it worked with:

cat /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf | grep WaylandEnable

which should return:

WaylandEnable=true

After command execution, reboot your device for the changes to take effect.

I checked and it should this "
user@endless:~$ cat /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf

GDM configuration storage

See /usr/share/gdm/gdm.schemas for a list of available options.

[daemon]

We change the default value to ‘false’ on EOS.

Uncomment the line below to force the login screen to use Wayland

WaylandEndable=true

Enabling automatic login

AutomaticLoginEnable = true

AutomaticLogin = user1

Enabling timed login

TimedLoginEnable = true

TimedLogin = user1

TimedLoginDelay = 10

[security]

[xdmcp]

[chooser]

[debug]

Uncomment the line below to turn on debugging

More verbose logs

Additionally lets the X server dump core if it crashes

#Enable=true

user@endless:~$ "
P.s It deleted every password I had saved in google chrome so I had to create a new account because could not remember mail for an older account (Gilgamesh) nether pw

I will observe it and will let you know if it will freeze again in next 24+ hour or so and thanks for helping me out

You were right Freeze issue Got fixed Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.