File system error

Hello, i cannot update anything. The system does not work. Cannot do diagnostics either. The terminal writes: unable to load summary from remote flathub. File system is available for reading only.

Hi,

i assume you have installed EOS to a HDD, can you please type the following command and upload a photo of it’s output.

sudo mount -o remount,rw /

This will try to remount the root filesystem read-write. If it succeeds, please generate a diagnostic and upload it here too. If it fails, please additionally write:

dmesg | tail -30 

and upload a photo of the output here.

Thank you but i cannot make a straight slash - the symbol after dmesg. How do you write it on endless?

Depends on your Keyboard Layout. Just type dmesg without the Pipe-Symbol it will list everything in the Kernel Buffer, but only the last lines are displayed.

OK, there are two possibilities:

1. The filesystem is corrupted, this can happen if the computer has been turned off without shutting it down
  2. Your HDD is going to die.

I strongly advise you to back up all data! Then run:

fsck -f /dev/sda3

This will invoke the Filesystem checker, which will try to fix the corrupt filesystem structure. If will normally fail if the hardware is defective and succeed if not.

Good luck.

/edit: Mind the whitespace when typing commands, the command i mentioned in a previous post has been typed with a whitespace in it by you, which changes the meaning of the command :slight_smile:

Thank you! I’m sorry to disturb you but can you please take a look at one more screen shot? It says access denied etc. Does that mean the hardware is defective and there is nothing else to do?

ah sorry, typo on my side. You must run the command with root permissions by:

sudo fsck -f /dev/sda3

Thanks a lot! Is that it? I’ve done as instructed and the result is this. Is it ok? Should I do anything else?
It’s been very kind of you to follow me thru this hard time :slight_smile:

Seems good! Reboot your device with

reboot

should come up with no more errors - if it’s still read only i have bad news for you …

Thanks a lot. It worked out! But i have another problem now. I cannot unlock my laptop because the password is in English but the language i left it on before shutting down was Russian. Now on the password mode, there is nothing i can do. I have already contacted the support team but they send the code a day (!) after request my verification code. By this time the computer goes into automatic shutdown and the procedure needs to be repeated. How am i supposed to keep it on for 24 hours waiting for the code - ,is a mystery to me!
You’ve been so helpful and ingenious last time - perhaps you could help me out now too. My asusmodel is x540u, and it always had only endless on it.

There are multiple ways of resetting your password, but before we attempt this (it’s a little bit complex), let’s try the following:

1. When on the Login Screen, open the Assistive Menu (the little Man on the right bottom corner) and enable “Screen Keyboard”.
  2. Now when you click on your user the Password field appears and a virtual Keyboard opens up.

If that works, great - if not, let me know so that we can use another approach.

The keyboard that appears is Russian. I cannot change it in English. Thank you for the speedy reply.

1. Press Ctrl-Alt-F2 - this will put you on the Text-only console
  2. Log in there with your User. The Keyboard Layout on the Text-only console is English per Default
  3. Change your Password to something which shares the same glyphs as on the Cyrillic Keyboard, like “12345678” using the command
passwd
  1. Press Ctrl-Alt-F1 again to get back to the Graphical User Interface
  2. Log in.

This is what i’ve got - login incorrect!

I have tried both Giorgio (but originally it is in Russian) and shared account. Amazingly it didn’t take the login and accepted the password!
I wish i hadn’t been such a trouble

You have two options:

1. Take the blue pill and wait for Endless Support to get in touch, providing you with an unlock code.
  2. Take the red pill and read on the following thread

How to do I enter the boot mode? Thank you.

When turning on your Computer, hold down the Shift-Key, it will bring up the Boot Menu. If that does not work for you, try ESC instead.

Try the username user – if you entered your name in Cyrillic during the initial setup process, that’s the fallback name chosen.