Gnome configuration & applications

Now that I have Endless running…I had a couple of questions or inquiries.
Since Endless uses the Gnome desktop, is there a way to install Gnome applications that are not flatpaks? Like gnome-tweak-tool or gnome commander.
Also, is it possible to configure workspaces to switch to?

Douglas

The Endless OS is only compatible with Flatpak Applications. At the moment GNOME Tweak and GNOME Commander doesn’t have a Flatpak version

You can install using the toolbox command. The Toolbox is a tool that offers a familiar RPM based environment for developing and debugging software that runs fully unprivileged using Podman. I recommend reading the toolbox command documentation using the command toolbox --help or github.com/debarshiray/toolbox/tree/master/doc

Create a new toolbox container using the command:

toolbox create

To run the toolbox use the command:

toolbox enter

To install GNOME Commander use the command:

sudo dnf install gnome-commander

To run GNOME Commander use the command:

gnome-commander

These articles will provide more details about it:

What’s Flatpak?
Can I install and add new software or apps?

Thank you for your response…I’ll try it out.
So is toolbox similar to vm or docker?

Douglas

The Toolbox is a tool that offers a familiar RPM based environment for developing and debugging software that runs fully unprivileged using Podman. What is Podman? Podman is a daemonless container engine for developing, managing, and running OCI Containers on your Linux System. Containers can either be run in rootless mode. More details here.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.