Google Chrome is like the undead beast constantly rising from the grave, why?

Hello.
Super-new user here and have uninstalled chrome and turned off auto-updates yet every reboot it reinstalls itself.
Can someone please tell me a method for cutting its head off for good?
thanks in advance, lovely people. :slight_smile:

If you uninstall Google Chrome, you automatically get Chromium (which is the Open source base of Chrome), as EOS needs it.

Simply don’t use the Chrome* Browsers if you prefer something different :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, thanks for the response.
I wasn’t aware that chromium was necessary for the os and I can see why a necessary, open-source browser might be uninstallable. I just don’t understand why I cannot uninstall, and keep uninstalled, unnecessary bloatware that contains google spyware - especially when the unbranded and clean version is already installed.
I might have to try a different os, as I really dislike google and prefer to minimise my information losses.
Once again: thank you for your response - I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

If you don’t use google chrome, nothing is sent to google :wink:

This isn’t supposed to happen. Does it actually reinstall itself, or is the icon just present on the desktop after you uninstall it (which is expected)? Try uninstalling it in the App Center, right-clicking the desktop icon and choosing “Remove from desktop”, then finding Chromium (branded as “Internet”) in the App Center and choosing “Add to desktop”.

If Chrome is actually reinstalling itself, please follow these instructions to generate a debug log and attach it here.

That is certainly what google likes people to believe, unfortunately the reality is far more sinister.

From Money.CNN
Google can collect data even if you aren’t using your device. The study says that a dormant Android phone with Chrome running in the background sent location data to Google servers 340 times in one 24-hour period. The study claims 11.6 MB of data passed between an Android device and Google’s servers after a day of “typical” internet use.

The torrent of data includes information people actively provide when they type something into Google Search or seek directions on Maps.

But Google collected two-thirds of its data without any input at all from users in the researchers experiment. The Android mobile operating system, Chrome web browser, applications like Search and Maps, and publisher tools like Google Analytics and AdWords can glean information from web searches, map inquiries, and other online activities without you knowing – or controlling – it, claims the study.

Hey,
Thank you for your response.
It completely reinstalled every time I rebooted.
I have switched to fedora as the lack of true customisation, security features, combined with the reinstallation of what I consider spy-ware has left me distrustful of endless os.
Thank you very much for responding. I look forward to trying this os again in the future if I find any of my issues addressed, as it is very easy to use and worked “out of the box” with my atom soc.
Thanks again :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.