Hack Lab | Hablas español!

Greetings, Hackers and fans. Today, we’ve got another exciting update for Hack Lab!

Badges
Hack Lab now has badges! Complete the activities, and show off your accomplishments to your friends and family!

Screenshot from 2020-07-01 14-29-22

The collected badges will show up in the inventory which you can access from the home page of the app.

Localization
If you hablas español, you’re in luck - We’re rolling out our first translation of Hack Lab! This includes the User Interface and the content!

Screenshot from 2020-07-01 14-29-49
We know how important it is to be able to learn in your language, so if you want to see Hack Lab in your language, we’d love to hear from you!

Privacy and Data Policies…?
As part of following European Union laws about data collection and privacy, we’re updating our privacy policies at Endless.

We wouldn’t mention this if we only cared about complying with the law - instead, this is an opportunity to show you, our users, that it’s important for you to know what data we want to collect and why.
We added Google Analytics to Hack Lab to track where in the world you all connect from, what languages you use, and how you’re using the site. We want to track what activities you enjoy the most, and where you might be hitting bugs or rough spots. We don’t tie this to specific users, though - it’s all anonymous.

You’ll see a little banner asking you about cookies and analytics the next time you go to an Endless website. Please enable cookies if you can!

Happy hacking - we hope to see you on try.hack-computer.com, or here in the forum!

2 Likes

Support for pt_BR :brazil:

Hi Leandro,
thanks for your feedback!

Analytics suggest that we have a high number of users from pt_BR, so localizing the UI and the content would be a very valuable thing. The Web and Processing content will also make it’s way to the Hack Desktop, so localization efforts here will pay back on Hack Desktop as well.
The localization for Hack Lab is not integrated with Transifex. At the moment all the process is handled in Git.

See https://github.com/endlessm/hack-web/blob/master/src/locales/es/translation.json for the UI translation. The quests are translated with individual quest files. Here are the changes for the HTML quest, to translate into Spanish https://github.com/endlessm/hack-web/commit/97fc838dd047e6dd2d549df5b4eb5d47169af1eb

So, we would love to have help with the localization efforts! Let me know if you or someone within your circle would be interested to help with this.

Thanks,
Simon

1 Like

Hi dear Hack team. This is probably the wrong place to post this, ,maybe someone could relocate this post accordingly.
I recently installed EndlessOS on an old computer I had sitting around my home for my daughter, who is very interested in all things digital. I was absolutely amazed by the integrated Hack application! This is just the way, learning about computers should work!
She is a big fan of the quests, however, her English isn’t nearly good enough to follow the meaning of the quests (she is 8 years old).
I have started to translate the quest_strings in the csv files directly in the file system as I have just started my “career” in regard to modifying open source software and really getting to know linux. I am pretty sure, there are better ways of doing this.
here is my set of questions:

• Why will there be no “official” translations of quests? On GitHub, I found this statement: “Quests are not translated and we don’t want to maintain this list.” IMHO, the hack quests are what makes this app so very different and install-worthy.
  • If there are no plans on implementing internationalized version of the quests, would you be so kind as to tutor me somehow on how to translate the quests myself without the danger of breaking everything with the next hack update? If I understood the README.md correctly, I should probably build a development flatpack and deploy it within my daughter’s system? Would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction?
  • Lastly, if I succeed in making a localized quest_string variant (de_DE in my case), is there any way of making these translations available to other interested users?

I really like the idea behind endlessOs and Hack as a path towards teaching about computers. I would love to contribute. Anyone willing to tutor me?

Best,

Benjamin

1 Like

Hi leckermatz, the Hack application content was designed for US, that’s why it’s in English, we wanted to translate the app and the content at some point, but we had no time to do it.

We did some similar content, that’s translated to Spanish, in the hack web application:
https://try.hack-computer.com/

And just like something that maybe is interesting to you, we were working in custom quest creation support for Hack, so anyone can create their own quests and share with other people, but it’s not released yet. We need to create a release with that update.

And now I’ll answer your questions:

It’s not possible to translate Quests, because there’s no translation system, Quests are python scripts and the texts are in the CSV, but it’s a flatpak so you cannot edit those CSV files. And even if you do that, there’s some link to online content in English. In any case, if you want it’s possible to download the clubhouse application: https://github.com/endlessm/clubhouse, translate the CSV strings in data and rebuild the package with the katamari tool:

./katamari/tools/build-clubhouse 

You should copy the katamari/data/config.ini.example file to katamari/config.ini and edit that file to configure the build, but by default it should work and install the application as com.hack_computer.Clubhouse//custom, but if you change the install to no and bundle to yes, a com.hack_computer.Clubhouse.flatpak file will appear, you can copy that flatpak to your daughter’s computer and install it with flatpak install com.hack_computer.Clubhouse.flatpak

Once installed you can make it the default clubhouse with:

flatpak make-current com.hack_computer.Clubhouse//custom

You can create new quests just placing new files in the folder eosclubhouse/quests/hack2/.

And finally, if you want to contribute back these changes, right now we don’t have a translation system, but maybe you can create a Pull Request in the clubhouse repository and maybe we can just add a simple translation support for the next release.

Thanks a lot for your comment and your proactive actitude with this application. It’s a really nice tool, but recently we don’t have much time to work on it, but I’m sure we can make it work.