How can I fix this MINIMAL BASH LIKE GRUB ERROR?

After starting my Asus R541N I got this line

GNU GRUB version 2.02-beta3+dev105.4191f2f-8beos3.1.1

Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possiblr command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.

grub>

Can somebody help me out what I should do now, please?

Is this your first time using the computer, or were you using Endless previously just fine until this unexpected point where it now fails to boot?

After starting my Asus R541N I got this line

GNU GRUB version 2.02-beta3+dev105.4191f2f-8beos3.1.1

Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possiblr command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.

grub>

I found in another board that I should reboot via USB or disc with the same endless system. But I don’t have an USB or disc.

So is there any idea how I can fix this?

Thank you!!!1564057651582978876954

Hello Daniel,

it was working perfectly for nearly 18months. Then those error. Actually I made it to create an usb stick and boot the laptop from that one.

So I have access to the laptop again. Now I can use a testversion or I rewrite the system.

Is there any possibility to save my files?

So you mean, you used another computer to make a USB disk, and you have now successfully booted the laptop from that USB disk?

Is that an Endless USB disk?

If so, once booted, open the Disks app and see if you can see your internal hard disk. If you can use that app to mount the “ostree” partition, then browse it under Documents, you will hopefully find your data under home.

However, the fact that you’re seeing this grub error at all does indicate some kind of disk problem or data corruption, so your files unfortunately may be affected… Send a screenshot of the disks app if you have any doubts.

Hello Daniel,

yes that’s what I did.

Now when I press F2 the bios opens and it looks like in the picture.

I can see the hard disk but can not open it. Or I don’t know how to open it.

When I boot from the usb disk I can use a testversion, this one runs endless over the usb, so I have no access to my files.

Should I reset from the stick? But then all the files were delete right?

What you think about the grub error? Will it be fixed if I pit down the old system and install it from the beginning? Or is there something else I need to make?

www.masimou.de

You may be able to do a full reinstall from the Endless USB disk, but that will definitely erase all your files, so don’t do that (yet) if you’d first like to attempt to access and save your files somewhere safe. I can help you get started there:

Please boot the Endless USB disk. Once you get to the desktop, use the search bar to search for “Disks” then launch the disk app. Click on your disk on the left hand side, then post a screenshot here.

When I start from the USB and use the testversion, I just got the files which are on the stick.

So you can see it on the pictures

If I search for disks there is no results found.

Wait…now I make it right I think. So here ist it

Yes, you’ve got into the disks app. Also, your main hard disk is already selected on the left, so that’s good.

Over on the right side, click on the big partition that says “ostree - Partition 3”. Then click on the :arrow_forward: icon in the bar below it.

A few seconds later, the Contents line in the section below should say something like:

Contents: Ext4 (version 1.0) - Mounted at /run/media/…

Click on the path shown there (the bit that says something like /run/media/…) and it should open a file browser.
Then enter the “home” directory. Under there you should see a directory corresponding to your username. And inside that directory you should have all your files.
You can now (e.g) insert another USB disk and copy your files onto there, creating an external backup.

So, I just want to let you know that I made it to save my files, maybe if someone else has this problem, I would recommend to use an 64gb usb device for the testversion of endless, otherwise it’s a realy long process to save the files while running the testversion.

I’ve installed afterwards the whole endless programm and it works.

And now I’m more clever and saved my files on an external hard drive…

Thank you David for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.