How to get Alice 3.0

Hello, my daughter is taking classes online and she needs to download Alice 3.0. I see that is available to download for Linux on its website but is there a way I can get it in the AppStore?

Thank you!

Hello,
unfortunately, Alice is currently not available as a Flatpak for direct execution on Endless OS. However, it’s totally possible to run it within a Ubuntu Container. Follow the Thread below to learn how to set up a Ubuntu Container and run applications within:

Hi.

I’m not ver computer savvy. Is there a way to simplify this? Or a video tutorial

On how to install this and add Alice to it? I’m sorry but I really need help with this.

Thank you so much.

Give me time until tomorrow, will write a short summary on how get Alice up and running.

You are the best! Thank you!

Hi,

first of all, open a Terminal, then type in the commands.

Create a new container with Ubuntu 18.04:

podman run --interactive --tty --name alice --volume /tmp/.X11-unix:/tmp/.X11-unix --env DISPLAY --device /dev/dri --device /dev/snd --device /dev/input/mouse0 --volume /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro --volume /sysroot/home/$(whoami):/mnt --cap-add=ALL --security-opt seccomp=unconfined ubuntu:18.04 bash

You will be put into a container:

Type exit to leave the container for now.

cd ~/Downloads
wget http://www.alice.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Alice3_unix_3_5.sh

This will download the current Alice application.

podman start --latest
podman exec --latest --interactive --tty bash

The first command will start the container, the second one will put you into the container. After rebooting your computer, you always must start the container before executing something inside it.

Now, you are again in the container. Run

apt-get update
apt-get -y dist-upgrade
apt-get install ubuntu-desktop openjdk-8-jdk

This will update the system software inside the container to the latest version and makes sure that you have all the required prerequisites for Alice.

cd /mnt/Downloads
chmod +x Alice3_unix_3_5.sh
./Alice3_unix_3_5.sh

This will start the Alice installer. Click through it to install the application. After the installation completed, run Alice with:

/usr/local/bin/Alice\ 3

It will look a little bit shitty as the fonts are not rendered correctly. To fix this:

echo _JAVA_OPTIONS=\"-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=gasp -Dswing.aatext=true -Dsun.java2d.xrender=True\" >> /etc/environment

Now if you run Alice with the command from above:

Feel free to ask if you get stuck somewhere on the way :slight_smile:

Hi. After I click the download file it put me here. What’s next? Should I just wait?

Don’t click the downloaded file. Enter the commands from above :slight_smile:

I got it to work, thank you so much!!!

Now, another question. Is it possible to download java and Roblox studio?

Thank you so much for your patience with me. :blush:

2 Likes

you can download an app called gnome boxes, then go on the internet and find an iso file for windows 7,8, or 10 in the gnome boxes app, press the + in the corner and select the windows iso file, then set up windows