How to run a bash using the ffmpeg runtime

As far as I can see, I have the FFmpeg extension installed. Is there any way to run a bash using this extension and how. When I try to access it on the command line, I get the following error:

$ flatpak run --command=/usr/bin/bash org.freedesktop.Platform.ffmpeg-full
Similar installed refs found for ‘org.freedesktop.Platform.ffmpeg-full’:

1) runtime/org.freedesktop.Platform.ffmpeg-full/x86_64/20.08 (system)
   2) runtime/org.freedesktop.Platform.ffmpeg-full/x86_64/19.08 (system)

Which do you want to use (0 to abort)? [0-2]: 1
bwrap: execvp /usr/bin/bash: No such file or directory

similar things happen, when I don’t give the full path to bash

eos-diagnostic-210712_134013_UTC 0200.txt (1.6 MB)

any help is appreciated.

in the meantime, I uninstalled the 19.08 version of the runtime, but the problem that I cannot run a shell using the runtime persists.

I think the challenge here is that it’s not a runtime, it’s an extension. You’d normally combine this extension with a runtime, where the runtime would provide the “normal” bits like bash etc. The extension is not intended to be useful/usable on its own.

I don’t know if you can ask the flatpak run command to set you up an environment with a specific runtime plus an extension of your choice. 3 ideas:

1. Find an app that uses the ffmpeg extension, install it and pass that to flatpak run shell invocation like you are doing above, now you should have a shell environment that combines the app, the runtime and the ffmpeg extension.
  2. Look into the bwrap command, which is what flatpak uses internally to set up the container & runtime environment. However it might be quite complex to find the right parameters to set up the right runtime & extension combined environment.
  3. Ask on the flatpak mailing list

Alternatively, you can also simply use the static builds available directly from the FFmpeg developers, which run without any flaws on EOS:

https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/

that clarifies the behavior, maybe I’ll find the time to discuss it on the flatpak mailing list. It is a low priority problem …

@egrath thanks for the suggestion, I tried that already, but Johns build did not include the format I require, it was missing the input format “pulse”, see issue on github.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.