I can't update Endless

Right now I am using version 3.3.15 (180326-232456) I want to update the version but when I click “Check for updates now” it says “No updates available” and Steam\Zoom does not open.What can I do?

1 Like

Can you please open a Terminal and enter the following command:

eos-updater-ctl update

When this command finished (which can take a long time depending on the amount of data being downloaded), a line stating “UpdateApplied” should appear. When this happend, the update to the latest version has been installed and you can reboot your computer to take into effect. If you don’t see such a message, please copy/past the output of the above command into this thread for further analysis.

I waited 45 minutes but nothing happend.How long could it take? Did I do something wrong?

You typed the command wrong, you forgot to append the update. Type the entire command as given.

I think it isn’t working

Can you now please run:

sudo ostree admin upgrade

Reboot your Computer when the command has finished. Are your still at 3.3.15?

Upgrade to Endless OS 3.9.3

Settings :arrow_right: Details :arrow_right: Look for updates

You will upgrade to Endless OS 3.3.20. Repeat the same procedure to upgrade to Endless OS 3.9.3

After the command finished I rebooted I checked for updates but it still says “No updates availabile” and I am still at 3.3.15

OK - will need to test out your specific case with a fresh 3.3.15 installation. I’ll write as soon as i have any news on this.

Just finished testing. The regular update way from 3.3.15 to the latest version is:

3.3.15 ⟶ 3.3.20 ⟶ 3.9.3

… and works in general with a fresh 3.3.15 installation. This is overally good as it means the update mechanism is not broken :slight_smile:

To do further analysis on why you are stuck, can you please open a Terminal and run:

journalctl -f -u eos-updater 2>&1 | tee -a ~/update.txt

Then, open a second terminal and run the updater again:

eos-updater-ctl update

When the later one has finished, press Ctrl-C in the first Window and upload the file update.txt from your Home directory to this Thread.

On a fresh install

eos-updater-ctl update

already gives:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/eos-updater-ctl", line 422, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/eos-updater-ctl", line 418, in main
    sys.exit(args.function(**args_dict))
  File "/usr/bin/eos-updater-ctl", line 222, in command_update
    force=force, timeout=timeout)
  File "/usr/bin/eos-updater-ctl", line 204, in command_fetch
    return command_dbus('fetch', block, quiet, parameters)
  File "/usr/bin/eos-updater-ctl", line 172, in command_dbus
    proxy.call_sync(qualified_method_name, parameters, 0, -1, None)
gi.repository.GLib.Error: g-io-error-quark: GDBus.Error:com.endlessm.Updater.Error.WrongState: Can't call Fetch() while in state Ready (36)

Is that normal?

Hi,

if you are already on the latest version this is a normal message.

com.endlessm.Updater.Error.WrongState: Can't call Fetch() while in state Ready (36)

simply means, that a new update can’t be fetched because there isn’t one. Verify your version in the System Settings About Dialog.

Thanks, since this comes up so much I checked internally and documented it quickly here:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.