I like Endless but

I have Endless installed on three machines around the house but like every Linux distro I have ever used there are always things I don’t like. My only grief with Endless Linux is the performance.
I switched from Deepin Linux to Endless linux because Deepin released a bad update that broke the install on three different hardware platforms. So I switched to Endless linux, it was slightly slower than Deepin but I really liked the simple setup.

The other day at work I fired up a copy of Manjaro Gnome edition on a usb stick and the performance was amazing. I then tried installing it to a hard disk on another laptop and was further impressed by the speed.

I cant make Manjaro feel like endless linux but I am having a hard job giving up the performance.

G.

@Graeme_Lockett What version of Endless OS are you using?
To check which version of Endless OS you are in Settings :arrow_right: Details

Hi,

running 3.5.3 (181213-123044)

G

Sorry tmy mistake incorrectly typed 3.5.3 should be 3.5.4

Tried 7 different Arch distros in the last few days. They are definitely quicker than Endless but they all had something that annoyed me enough to try something else. [For example an App store that could only install one thing at a time, out of the box wifi not working - known issue. Out of the box broken app store -known issue]
I just reinstalled endless… Easy to use, clean and well thought out OS.

Thanks for the feedback! It would be interesting to know more specifically in which areas you see a performance difference. Can you go into more detail here? For example is it the speed of loading a large spreadsheet in libreoffice, the speed at which you can copy a file to a USB disk, or… ?

Hi Daniel,

Two of the three laptops I have are running endless have solid state drives in them. The boot time of Arch to the desktop is quicker via an USB drive than Endless is on a solid state drive. Opening a web browser like chrome was twice as fast on Arch as it is on Endless.

While testing Arch it seemed that the app literally opened the moment I clicked the icon [almost like it was pre-loaded]. The delay between clicking the icon in Endless and getting the app loading screen is just long enough to doubt whether I clicked the app icon to open the app in the first place. It takes 2-3 seconds to load firefox.

As I said earlier, I won’t be switching away from Endless OS just yet.

Just thought I would update this post. I have been using Endless solidly on my home laptop and I love it. Simple, stable and I have grown to love a few of the apps. I have recommended to friends and also sold old some old computers with endless pre-installed

Thank you for all your hard work!