INTEL ATOM A5 Z8530 Architecture and LINUX

The battle between Windows 10 and Linux is loss for Linux.

Impossible for linux to integrated this architecture …Dangerous for the future of LINUX !!!

Mint , Ubuntu , Neon , Endless…etc… Doesn’t respond to this architecture.
The only solution is to return to Windows 10…

STATUS = PENDING ( 3.3.11 ) CLOSED concerning sound

The Atom Z8530 (aka Cherrytrail) was Intel’s attempt at joining the low cost Tablet sector currently dominated by ARM vendors. Each Cherrytrail system is more like an ARM system because not all of the standard PC methods of detecting hardware and loading drivers works, which means a lot of the generic code in Linux which makes most hardware work automatically doesn’t work on Cherrytrail systems without manual alterations. Windows drivers are frequently manually altered to work with each system by the system manufacturer so everything seems to work better - but for Linux it just means the hardware is weird and we don’t know the right tricks to make it work. The Endless kernel team does support quite a few Cherrytrail systems but it can take us a few weeks of work to make it all work for each system. Some things do get better over time so you might want to watch for Endless OS 3.4.0 or a beta release next month, but otherwise you’ll need to explain what problems you’re having and attach an eos-diagnostics log before we can help you any further. Buy, don’t blame Linux - this is “thanks” to Intel for making a chip that doesn’t follow any of the normal rules.

Also, Intel failed in this market so they have stopped making Cherrytrail and closed the whole division. There is no future threat to Linux from these chips… :slight_smile:

Ok I wait the future version 3.4.x for a solution …Thanks for info…

Why windows 10 solve and linux not…???

The manufacturer makes and tests the Windows drivers and the firmware at the same time, so they don’t need to follow any standard rules as long as the two parts work together, especially in low cost systems. But it means if we take any Linux system, without the manufacturers drivers, we have one piece of the puzzle and have to figure out the rest with little/no help from the manufacturer, and a system that doesn’t follow normal PC rules.

The responsability is to INTEL or HP???

No, it’s whoever makes the computer, and their suppliers - they design the board, take the chip from Intel, select how it’s wired up and which other components are added - and they write/modify/test the firmware and drivers for Windows, and then they ship it. Any knowledge about how to make their particular design work with Linux isn’t tested, documented or shared. The fact that Linux doesn’t have “one” version which everyone can say “support and test this, or I won’t buy your hardware” means that it’s much harder for vendors to justify spending time/money on any one Linux version (Ubuntu, RedHat, Endless, whatever). So most don’t bother. Not supporting any Linux doesn’t prevent them from selling their devices, so why would they?

**Concerning the audio card rt5640, the solution is found with Mint 18.3 mate see forum. ( raoul no sound )****.

Concerning my HP x2 detachable 10=p0XX have sound now under Mint 18.3.
RT5640 SOUND CARD SOLVED FOR ME

They are no solution under ENDLESS OS 3.4 ???

Endless 3.4 includes many driver updates, so there’s a possibility of improvement here, especially if it works out-of-the-box on Linux Mint. Create a new Endless 3.4 Live USB and give it a try.

I tried Endless 3.4 on my X2. There does not seem to be much difference from earlier releases. I have not installed it, but ran it live from the USB installer.

Internal sound still does not work. Sound via Bluetooth works as does sound through HDMI. It appears to me that memory usage still rises very quickly and Endless seems to just overwhelm the limited resources of the X2. My trial ended after about 10 minutes when the system either froze, or simply became unresponsive.

I will probably go ahead and install Endless 3.4 on my X2 to see if it runs better installed than it does in live mode.

bill