Internet connection keeps breaking up

Hi, so I’ve managed to put it on 5ghz wifi connection. Link speed on my wifi options: 434 Mb/s (5.2 GHz)
Getting strange test-results with speedtests… The peaks are a lot higher then on the 2.4ghz, which is normal, but not a steady connection.

When on Chrome, trying speedtest Ookla:
Download: start with 1MB - 0MB - 30MB - 0MB - 20MB
Upload: start with 250MB - 0MB - 175MB - 0 MB - 130MB

More or less the same result on another speed-test.

When on Firefox, trying speedtest Ookla:
Download: start with 27MB - 14MB - 10MB - 16MB
Upload: start with 217MB - 116MB - 91MB - 66MB

So, the connection gets lost a lot of the time… Also had some moment the whole pc was stuck. (couldn’t even move my mouse)
I’ll place the diagnostic in here.

Hope for a fixed solution of help in the right direction.
Thanks

eos-diagnostic-210512_170711_UTC 0100.txt (3.6 MB)

On the very old laptop of my girlfriend it has a steady connection…
So, it must be something only on my laptop :frowning:

Can I update a wifi adapter driver or something?
I do know how to do those things in Windows, but not in Endless…

Can you please verify with a Ubuntu Live CD if the problem is there too. From what i see in the logs, there are many entries which leads me to different hardware issues:

May 12 16:50:15 endless kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sda3, logical block 17492996
May 12 16:50:15 endless kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sda3, logical block 17492997
May 12 16:50:15 endless kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sda3, logical block 17492998
May 12 16:50:15 endless kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sda3, logical block 17492999

and

May 12 16:53:58 endless kernel: RTW: WARN [TXFOVW]

As it may be a very interesting coincidence for two hardware faults to occur at the same time, eventually you have some defective memory chip in your device which leads to those problems.

Instructions

1. Download the Ubuntu 21.04 Image
  2. “Burn” it to a empty USB stick with the Fedora Image Writer
  3. Boot the Stick and run a Live Session, connect to your Wifi and try different speed tests
  4. On the Stick, there is also the option to boot to a memory test tool. Do this too.

Thanks egrath,

I’ve found and downloaded the Ubuntu 21.04 and burned it to a usb stick.

• Boot the stick. You mean Go to the bios and boot directly from the stick?
    Hope it doesn’t affect my Endless os or any of my files?

• Boot to a memory test tool? Is that inside the files or some other installation true the Bios?

Sorry for these maybe stupid questions, but I prefer asking before I do something wrong :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Yes, boot the stick through the BIOS (Override boot or something like that). Often there is also a Key display which allows you to select the Boot device.

The Memory Test Tool can be selected after the Bootloader from the USB Stick is displayed.

No, your files on Endless OS wont be touched.

Thanks.

I have 4 options to choose for booting:

• ubuntu
  • ubuntu (safe graphics)
  • OEM install (for manufacturers)
  • test memory

So I first boot Ubuntu (normal) and try different speed tests?
After that, I boot again and choose the test memory?

Ok, so it just booted with Ubuntu :slight_smile:
Then I could choose between test Ubuntu or full version?
I choose the test version…

Ubuntu started (looks nice btw :slight_smile: ), started Firefox, but airplane mode was on.
Disabled airplane mode and looked for wi-fi connection, but couldn’t find it…
Did search for wi-fi and the following screenshot is what I got ?? Saying no wi-fi adaptor was found?

Now, I just tried speed test again. On Endless.
On Chrome and Firefox… Guess what. A pretty steady connection download between 260MB and 285MB, upload 266MB …
Is this a coincidence, just an ok moment? Even without stuttering… Just a steady connection like it should be?

I don’t think it’s permanent as the underlying cause hasn’t been fixed. Can you run the memory test from the Ubuntu USB Stick.

Hi egrath, sorry for my late reply. It was a bit busy the last few days.

I understand what you’re saying, but I would prefer to wait for a moment.
At this moment things are working great :slight_smile:
The internet connection and speed is good and I don’t get those annoying pop-ups from the Bluetooth anymore.
I must admit that I have no clue how this could happen… But I’m glad it’s working normal now.

So, even though maybe it’s not fixed yet? I am very happy and thankful for your help! Really!
Thanks very much!

As we haven’t fixed any relevant things, this is getting interesting. Nevetheless, i’m glad that it works now.

Wild guess: Your provider has updated your Fibre Router during a regular maintainence cycle with a new Firmware which has some quirks fixed which originally caused the issue.

Well, I have no idea. It was just after the reboot with Ubuntu… Coincidence that my provider updated the fibre at that exact time?
I don’t know what, but the reboot with Ubuntu did the job :slight_smile: magicle wise :slight_smile:

I will keep an eye on the connection and keep you updated if anything changes or if it remains the same.

Thank you and have a great weekend.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.