Is Syncthing up to date for endless OS

The flatpak version I found was 0.9.4.4. So before trying endless I’d like to know whether it is working properly.

Anyone has tried it?

The version 0.9.4.4 is for the Syncthing-Gtk UI - it includes SyncThing version 1.4.0 from March which is not the latest (1.5.0) but the Flatpak has an active maintainer - it should be updated soon. I’d give Endless a go and let us know how you get on. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

Maybe offtopic, but how can I install Endless on a Uefi System on a particular partition, if I don’t have a Windows installed, thus can’t use the Windows installer.

A workaround would be to install Windows first, Is it possible to choose a particular partition that way?

Generally, because Endless OS is built as a disk image, we don’t test/support any partitioning or multi-booting scenarios apart from:

1. Endless OS fills the whole disk, and expands its root filesystem to fill the whole device.
  2. That Endless OS whole “disk image” lives inside a file on the NTFS Windows C: drive, which is how we support dual booting. (A similar set-up applies to live USBs made with ExFAT, and CD/DVD images with ISO9660, with an extra layer of squashfs.)

However, if you are an advanced user and comfortable with pulling one of our images apart, you can boot Endless OS provided you meet these requirements:

• Chainload our Grub binary because we have a static configuration and a plugin which looks for BLS config files to work out which version of Endless OS to boot.
  • Move the Endless OS root filesystem into a partition of its own, ideally on the boot device as we look here first, retaining the ext4 filesystem label “ostree”, which is what Grub looks for to find the BLS entries and Endless OS root filesystem.

However if you’re looking to give Endless OS a “quick try” then a VM might be quicker - we have OVF VM images on https://endlessos.com/download/ now.

1 Like

I’ll defenetely give it a try.

I’m not advanced enough to pull your image apart.

A multi boot System with Windows is necessary on some devices in my case. Is a Linux on a Ntfs partition within the Windows partition slower than on a usual ext4? Can you estimate how much slower it is on a new i5 machine?

It’s no slower - we don’t access the endless OS disk image through NTFS, we have a tool which finds the file locations on disk and configures device-mapper (the same as LVM uses) to access those like a virtual disk. So there is effectively no performance impact.

1 Like

Thanks mate, great community support!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.