Is user switching from lock screen still impossible?

January 2019 a question was raised: User switching from lock screen (User switching from lock screen).

No replies have been given - and the discussion is now closed.

But I too have the same need - and I suppose many users as well.
Maybe something has been changed with the new updates of EOS - or is planned for the next future.

Can somebody reply?

Something that would help us a lot to understand the problem would be this:

1. Open the application called ‘Terminal’
  2. In this application run the command:

eos-diagnostics

1. The above command will create a file with the information of your system (example: eos-diagnostic-160614_111731_UTC + 0100.txt); Send us this file so we can analyze and see a possible solution

Hi! Please do not forget to send the diagnostic.

Hi - I can send the diagnostic - but first I would like to clarify the issue.

I have created several users (in fact, my wife, two daughters, one son etc., each with her/his account).

Sometimes, one of the users forgets to logoff and maybe goes out of home. The screen gets locked automatically.

If another person wants to use this computer, the only way that I found is to turn it off.

But in Windows and in Linux it is possible to change (switch) the user, making login with a different user without forcing shutdown. The inactive user is in some way frozen, not logged out, and will not lose any unsaved files.

Because this is a feature available in Linux, it should be available also in Endless, I suppose. But I cannot see how.

1 Like

I have sent the diagnostics via message to Leandro and Byron.

It’s possible, but it’s not enabled per default. To enable it, execute the following two commands:

dconf write /org/gnome/login-screen/disable-user-list false
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver user-switch-enabled true
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.lockdown disable-user-switching false

Reboot. Then, the user switcher appears when the screen gets locked:

eos-diagnostic-200913_182459_UTC 0200.txt (3,4 MB)

Thanks! I tried it, and it works. Now I can switch user.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.