Java in Endless 3.0.4

Hi there…

Unlike previous versions of Endless os, there is no java version in Endless 3.0.4.
How can I install java in EndLess os 3.0.4?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Neil,

Endless OS 3.0 took a bold shift with regard to how applications are distributed/installed and it now relies on flatpak, which is well-known and secure way to distribute applications in Linux, regardless of the specific environment you’re running (e.g. you could install the same app in Fedora, Endless, Debian…).

For that reason, the Java JRE that you could run directly in Endless 2.6.x has been moved into Endless’s flatpak runtime, so that apps installed via the app store can still use Java, which is the only officially supported way to run Java on Endless at the moment.

Unfortunately, this means you can no longer run java programs directly from the system (e.g. from the terminal), since the JRE is no longer accessible there. However, if you want to take a workaround, you could always install Oracle’s Java Runtime into /opt and then you’d have java available again in your system, but this is not supported in any way by Endless, so you’d be on your own there. If you still want to do it, these would be the steps, roughly:

1. Download Sun’s JRE by selecting the “Linux x64” tarball from http://java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp
  2. Install (uncompress) the JRE somewhere under /opt (e.g. /opt/jre1.8.0_91)
  3. Set up PATH and other environment variables you might need (e.g. CLASSPATH) to run your java thing
  4. Probably something else I might be forgetting :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!
Mario

wait what? endless 3.0.4… i still have endless 2.6.7… where do i get the update?

Hi Neil,

We did a soft launch of Endless OS version 3.0 last week. We actually need to post about that asap to this forum in a more visible way.

We are working on enabling our old users to be able to update to 3.0, but don’t have that solution quite yet. There are a lot of changes in 3.0, as Mario said, which has broken the update path.

Users who can’t wait for the more streamlined update option will need to install version 3.0 directly from our website on their machine. If you decide to go this route, please backup your files so you don’t lose them when you install 3.0.

Let us know if you have any other questions. Also thanks for being on the forum, I’ve seen your username pop up a few times now and it’s great to see you around!

1 Like

Thanks for the info…

I try to copy or uncompress the JRE under /opt (even with administrator account) and there is a problem with the permissions.

How can I use the Root Account?

Hi again Neil,

In order to use your account with root privileges (assuming is the main account in your Endless computer, or any other one you might have created with “Administrator” permissions) you prepend any command you write in the terminal with sudo, and then type your user’s password when asked.

For instance, to create a file under /opt you could do this:

$ sudo touch /opt/myfile

Another option is to become root and then execute every command as such, but that has the disadvantage of being more risky, as you could execute a destructive command by mistake, so I don’t recommend it. Should you want to do that, though, all you’d have to do is to execute sudo -s, and enter your password.

There’s plenty of information around about sudo in case you have doubts. See for instance https://www.linux.com/learn/linux-101-introduction-sudo

Hope this helps, and thanks again for your interest!
Mario

2 Likes

Hi,
I am new to linux os I want to install JDK & JRE
& set PATH & CLASSPATH for that so plz help me out!

Thank in Advance