Khangman fails to launch after 3.1.2 upgrade

Hello Everyone, best regards from Colombia

Amazing OS, I’m a high school teacher and endless OS has been a great and useful tool, I have a little problem, after the big updating Endless OS version 3-2-1 I tried to launch khangman but it wasn’t possible, it says Executable: khangman PID: 3 Signal: Floating point exception (8) Time: 02/24/17 04:53:54 PM

thanks for your hard work and commitment

Kevin

1 Like

@kevaryza
Anyway, something that would help us a lot to understand the problem would be this:

1. Open the application called ‘Terminal’
  2. In this application run the command: eos-diagnostics
  3. The above command will create a file with the information of your system (example: eos-diagnostic-160614_111731_UTC + 0100.txt); Send us this file so we can analyze and see a possible solution

Hi Leandro

thanks for replying so fast, this is the diagnostic you asked for,

eos-diagnostic-170225_200318_UTC-0500.txt (321.1 KB)

I hope it will help to solve my problem

bye

kevin

1 Like

wait what? who died?

hi credward

I said khangman, the kde-edu app similar to famous hangman game, stopped working after updating to endless OS 3-2-1

bye

1 Like

Hi, @kevaryza.

Nice to hear from you from Columbia!

In your diagnostic report, I see that the operating system is still on version 3.1.1. I realize that this is a little confusing, because when we released the apps as part of 3.1.2, the app center showed updates as available and you probably clicked on “Update All”. That updated all the installed applications, but not the operating system itself.

So, perhaps somehow we released an update to the KHangman app that is broken on 3.1.1. As a first step, can you please upgrade the operating system to 3.1.2 using the following steps (normally the OS updates automatically once every two weeks, but we can force an early check):

User menu (lower-left Endless logo) --> Settings --> Details --> Check for updates now

After some time, you will be asked to reboot the computer. Now when you return to the Settings Details pannel, you should see that the version is 3.1.2. At this point, please try again and let me know if that fixes the KHangman app problem.

If not, please capture another diagnostic log right after trying to launch the application, and I’ll investigate further.

Thanks!

Roddy

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I just tested on a laptop that I have running the 3.1.2 release, and I was able to successfully install and launch the latest version of KHangman. So, I’m pretty hopeful that the OS upgrade will fix the problem. Let me know how it goes.

Roddy

1 Like

Hi Roddy

thanks for your advice, I did what you said but sadly nothing happens, I mean the system upgrade flawlessly but khangman is still not working

I send you a screenshot as a prove

bye

kevin

1 Like

@kevaryza That’s a bummer. Both myself and another developer tested on a few different computers, but neither of us was able to reproduce the problem. Perhaps something went wrong on your computer during the app update, or there is a problem that is only reproducible with you configuration state. Let’s see if we can find a way to fix it…

First, let’s try to remove any of your configuration data. Open a terminal window (e.g., type term and then hit the enter key in the desktop search), and then enter the following:

mv ~/.var/app/org.kde.Khangman ~/.var/app/org.kde.Khangman.orig

Then, try to launch the app again.

If that doesn’t help, the next thing I would try is to completely remove and reinstall the application, in case one of the application’s files somehow is missing or became corrupted. I.e., find KHangMan in the app center and click the Uninstall button, and then after the removal is complete click the Install button.

Then, try to launch the app again.

I hope that one of those will solve the problem, but if still no luck, try typing the following on the terminal, and then copy anything you see in the terminal:

flatpak run org.kde.Khangman

For instance, here is what I see when I run the command (when KHangMan is working):

roddy@endless:~$ flatpak run org.kde.Khangman
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gail"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"
Qt: Session management error: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
Got bus address:  "unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-oVzpmMrAik,guid=d62e23c116e8d21de536986858b85dcc" 
Connected to accessibility bus at:  "unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-oVzpmMrAik,guid=d62e23c116e8d21de536986858b85dcc" 
Registered DEC:  true 
khangman(3)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
Registered event listener change listener:  true 

Perhaps there will be more of a clue there as to what is going wrong in the terminal output.

Thanks.

Roddy

1 Like

Hi Rody

happily mv ~/.var/app/org.kde.Khangman ~/.var/app/org.kde.Khangman.orig worked, thank you so much for your help and support, here you’ve got a screenshot with khangman working again

@kevaryza Awesome! I’m happy that I was able to help.

If you feel inclined, I’d be interested in seeing if we can reproduce and understand what went wrong by taking a look at the broken configuration.

To do so, run the following command in a terminal:

tar -zcvf khangman.tgz ~/.var/app/org.kde.Khangman.orig

And then attach the resulting khangman.tgz file (most likely you would see it in your home folder in the file manager) either on this thread or in a private message to me.

Thanks.

Roddy

1 Like

Hi Roddy

off course I feel inclined, I would like to thank you, there are another 2 facts I want to solve but I thing it will be later, I don’t want to be a whiner, nothing important

here you’ve got the file, I had to rename it because the upload system didn’t allow me to do it as a .tgz file

khangman.tgz.log (285.2 KB)

best regards

kevin

Hi, @kevaryza. Thank you for taking the time to provide the config files (and figuring out how to bypass the attachment blocking). I was able to reproduce the problem here using your files.

If you’d like to get back to your previous configuration (levels, etc.) but in a working state, you should be able to do so with the following:

mv ~/.var/app/org.kde.Khangman ~/.var/app/org.kde.Khangman.new
mv ~/.var/app/org.kde.Khangman.orig ~/.var/app/org.kde.Khangman
rm -rf ~/.var/app/org.kde.Khangman/kde/data/stalefiles

I don’t know off-hand what creates these “stalefiles” or what purpose they serve, but my guess is that perhaps the app was running when it was updated, and somehow that crashed the app and left these files behind. Of course, you should be able to safely update the app even if it is running, or in the very worst case even if it does crash it should still be able to be relaunched after the app update. We’ll have to see if we can find a way to reproduce, and then check if any other KDE apps are impacted.

Please go ahead and report any other problems you are experiencing. For the benefit of others, please open separate topics if the problems are unrelated.

Roddy

1 Like