Lubuntu vs Endless OS

I have tried Endless and started talking about it
On one of my latptop, I have Lunbtu because my HP Stream is a slow computer

Should I espect EndlessOS to be quite as fast as LUbuntu ? Or Endless is more memory and processor hungry than Lubuntu ?

JF

Overall I’ld expect EndlessOS to be more ressource hungry. It is build for 64-bit and the whole desktop is way nicer and has more effects than LXDE.
IÄld say it depends a bit on what you want to do with it. I am using endless on a 11 inch convertible laptop with a touchscreen and it runs on a 1,1 Ghz Celeron with 4GB Ram and 128 GB SSD. Everything runs smooth and flawless, I can watch videos in FullHD without problems and even Steam In-Home Streaming works (maybe a few glitches in the colors but that could be connection related). So I have pretty low specs already and Endless just runs fine. I wouldnt want to trade it with LXDE since touchscreen support would prolly be a disaster. :slight_smile:

If you laptop is 32-bit I think you have no choice than to go with LXDE, cause for the 64-bit EndlessOS I’ld recommend 4 GB of RAM. You can try it with 2 GB tho, it is not that RAM hungry. If you have 4 GB tho and your laptop is a 1,xx Ghz somewhat, you will be perfectly fine with EndlessOS. If you plan on using ur NVIDIA or ATI gfx card, it wont work; endless is more for browsing and office use than gaming (except In-Home Streaming for that its just perfect).

I am pretty happy with the system for work purposes, surfing in the garden or In-Home Streaming. I use the little laptop more often than my main laptop running Ubuntu. If you want to upgrade yourself one day, I can recommend the Acer Travelmate Spin B1 with Endless OS. It comes pre-installed and everything works just out-of-the-box. :slight_smile:

Greetings,
~ent

1 Like

WOW,
Tks for taking time to reply with a long and complete answer ! I do appreciate a lot.
Tks for your precious time.

I gave it a shot, and installed it on my HP Stream and you know what, it work well !
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04484881

I have to figure out why it is long to boot but once booted, works well

JF
I event talked about it in my FRENCH VLog https://www.patreon.com/posts/endless-os-et-19553808

Hi,

sry I sadly dont speak french, only german and english. :slight_smile:
If booting takes long try the command dmesg in a terminal after booting up. It will show you in seconds when which event happened, so you can see if events delay the process significantly.

Hope you have fun with Endless :slight_smile:
greetings ~ent

1 Like

I speak english / french and working on my spanish… But for German, you’ll have to wait in another life for me LOL

Tks for your advice, I am presently trying to do what you said
JF
I love EndlessOS !!! Even is some of the software I need can’t be insalled from Flatpak, I am ok on my desktop for those… And the laptop " rocks " with Endless