Missing Locale KE(nya) English with meters/A4/KES

Hi there, thanks for endless, two days ago I have successfully started setting up used machines of different types in Kenya, where i run a school for over 200 kids who cant afford school in a huge slum area. endless seems the perfect solution here, BUT: (as much as it seems to be a problem originating from debian) but…: there is no proper way of installing a Kenyan version, using English (the official administration language) , Meters, Kenyan Shillings KES, the 1000-devider point down, 1.000/=, proper British English, A4 Paper size… Option here is only Oromo (NOT a Kenyan but Ethiopian Language!!!) and Swaheli… How can I get a proper English locale KE-en running, please?? And please fix this in the installation process, thanks again!

Hi @goodhearts - we ship the locales that Debian does, which are defined by the C library (glibc) at a very low level. en_KE (which would be English language, Kenya formats such as units/time/currency/etc) is not defined/supported by glibc - https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=blob;f=localedata/SUPPORTED;hb=HEAD. However, you can set the language and the other things separately in the “Region and Language” section of Settings. Select your closest version of English (maybe UK?) and then select Kenya (either Swahili or Oromo) for the format/regional option - does that work?

Hi ramcq, thanks so much for your fast and founded reply.
However, the oromo language is not supposed to be listed under
Kenya, since it is ethiopian and we don’t have that tribe in
Kenya. Swahili is here, yes, but it is not the offiocial
administrative language, only official language. We needed a
subset KE-EN and it is quite a show stopper for many who would
like to use debian-derived linuxes here… I had filed bug reports
to debian and ubuintu teams year s ago, nothing much has happened.
At least LIBRE OFFICE has now the perfect LKE-EN subset available,
which helps a lot. Yet for Ubuntu OS etc it is not yet solved and
a problem in most new installations, coz Oromo seems to be the
standard for Kenya but you can hardly find such people around :wink:
Thanks, maybe You guys can push it a bit at DEBIAN , should not
be that hard to implement and the potentially happy people here
are many :wink: Thanks - God bless - endless

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.