Mount issue with remote smb

Hi,

When I map a remote SMB share where does it get mounted to locally. I cant seem to find it.

It currently does not get mounted to a local mountpoint, as gvfs-fuse is not available in EOS. I opened a Feature request for this one, as this is a must have feature for many people who are using non GVFS-aware applications.

WARNING - COMPLETLY UNSUPPORTED WORKAROUND BELOW

1. Download the following archive:
    http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/gvfs/gvfs-fuse_1.34.1-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb

2. Extract the file “gvfsd-fuse” from the archive and copy it to some location in your home directory, e.g. ~/.local/bin:
    dpkg --vextract gvfs-fuse_1.34.1-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb /tmp
    cp /tmp/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-fuse ~/.local/bin

3. Create a File “~/.config/autostart/gvfsd-fuse.desktop” with the following content:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Exec=/sysroot/home/myUserName/.local/bin/gvfsd-fuse /run/user/1001/gvfs -f -o big_writes

Replace 1001 with your User ID and myUserName with your actual Username, you can get both with id in a terminal.

4. Mark the file as a trusted executable:
    chmod +x gvfsd-fuse.desktop
    gio set gvfsd-fuse.desktop metadata::trusted yes

5. Restart your session

Next time you mount something via gvfs, for example with: gio mount smb://myuser@nas/share, the share gets mounted under /run/user/1001/gvfs/… for access with non gvfs-aware applications like rsync, cp, tar, …, the usual suspects.

KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS CAN AND PROBABLY WILL BREAK WITH THE NEXT MAJOR EOS UPDATE

@wjt: Any possibilities of adding gvfsd-fuse to the core operating system with one of the next releases?

No promises, but in principle this seems reasonable. I’ll open a ticket.

Where did you open this request, out of interest?

Using the following link on the 13th April: https://support.endlessm.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

You may be pleased to see this pull request. Keep an eye out for a beta release of 3.7.0 soon!

1 Like