Need to install ID-card software, used widely in country

Dear all!
Current case talks about Estonian ID-card software, that supports also Debian, Ubuntu and its based distros. Here is the automated installation script, that needs a bit modification and then could be used.

Currently:

distro=$(lsb_release -is | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]')
release=$(lsb_release -rs)
codename=$(lsb_release -cs)

Fixed lines:

distro=ubuntu
release=20.04
codename=focal

As the system is read-only, then would it be possible to temporarily remove read-only protection, install necessary software, then put that protection back? Certainly this all is solely on own responsibility. This is desperate need as whole life is based in Estonia on ID-card and without that software, the operating system is useless. I noted, that even APT repository was added already to the system but could not install necessary packages due to system read-only restriction.

I understand, that in future, when to update, there is a need again to enable write, update that custom software and then put write protection back.

Certainly for future better usage of Endless OS I would suggest to consider to allow to install certain very necessary software. Hopefully can you find a way to keep current good security model and still allow users to install software they need - to user’s home folder.
Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.