On-Screen Keyboard

Does anyone know how to turn off this on-screen keyboard which keeps poping up each time I uses the touch screen?

I’ve check the setting in the universal Access, Screen Keyboard and it is off, but each time I touch the screen it always pop up.

When I try to use the On-Screen Keyboard, the keys were errorneous.

1. I was unable to use capitalize letter, pressing the :arrow_up: or holding :arrow_up: do not have effect.
  2. Unable to produce symbol. pressing ! produce 1, pressing # produce 3, etc.

The on-screen keyboard is not given layout choice, it shoud be QWERTY, PC, QWERTZ or AZERTY, which make the on-screen keyboard unuseable.

I am using 2-in-1 PC, ASUS T101Ha, which enable me to switch from netbook mode to tablet mode so, on-screen keyboard settings is very critical to me.

Currently I am using Endless OS 3.5.6 and looking forward for this fix.

Thank you for your kind reply and help.

Something that would help us a lot to understand the problem would be this:

1. Open the application called ‘Terminal’
  2. In this application run the command:

eos-diagnostics

1. The above command will create a file with the information of your system (example: eos-diagnostic-160614_111731_UTC + 0100.txt); Send us this file so we can analyze and see a possible solution

Okay, done…

eos-diagnostic-190308_190710_UTC 0700.txt (531.0 KB)

Hope this help.

@LeandroStanger: Hello friend, any work around for this? Thank you for your kind reply.

@wjt @ramcq Could help?

It is either the developer too busy or not much people developing Endless OS. I’ve update to version 3.5.7, but the on-screen keyboard is far from right.

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

:+1:

Unfortunately, it’s not currently possible to completely disable the on-screen keyboard. I checked for upstream bug reports (this component, like most of the Endless desktop, comes from GNOME) and I found this open issue.

I expect this bug to be fixed in the May release of Endless OS; I’ll file a ticket to verify this.

Could you clarify:

• What keyboard layout do you use on your physical keyboard keyboard?
  • What layout do you currently get on the on-screen keyboard?
  • What layout would you expect on the on-screen keyboard?
  • If you have a touchscreen smartphone or tablet, what on-screen keyboard layout do you use on that?

(As a Dvorak user, it bothers me that there’s no Dvorak on-screen keyboard :smile: though whenever I’ve tried using one on a phone or tablet, I’ve always gone back to QWERTY there…)

Thank you for your reply.

I see Endless OS is one of a Touchscreen-friendly OS, I suggest virtual input should be prioritized. It’s really quite annoying since virtual input is erroneous. :sweat:

My Keyboard is QWERTY with number on top row just the same as the on-Screen Keyboard.
My favorite keyboard layout is ANSI 104 Keyboard Layout, Because My screen is 10" it should be adequate.

One more things, Windows or active screen should be able to be adjusted to keyboard size (not Stacking underneath the on-screen keyboard) just like Androids do. This will make Endless OS a favorable OS for 2-in-1 PC, Convertible PC and Tablets.