Parallels Tools not installing

Hi,

I am running the latest version of Endless on a Macbook Air using Parallels Desktop version 16.1.2. I am unable to install Parallels tools. I have attached the eos diagnostics file as well as the parallels installation log file. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

eos-diagnostic-210127_201131_UTC 0100.txt (954.7 KB)

parallels-tools-install.log (5.1 KB)

You can’t install them. Only VirtualBox as a virtualization layer is properly supported (VMware works excellent too, nonetheless).

It’s because Parallels and some other virtualization products rely on building a custom kernel module and loading it during system startup. Due to the architecture of EOS, this is not possible.

Hi - thanks for the quick response. I am using a Macbook Air and I find that Virtual Box runs very slowly as does Vmware. Parallels runs great but I am unable to access my mac files without the parallels tools.

I have now tried with virtual box. The ovf file was imported without a problem. However, the guest OS window will not scale at all. The audio driver also seems not to work very well as the audio is quite choppy using the dell sound bar attached to my monitor. I tried to install guest additions but got a message indicating that they were already installed. I don’t know what else to do to allow the OS window to scale and to improve the audio.

1. You don’t need to install VirtualBox Guest Additions, they are already available out of the Box in EOS
  2. In VirtualBox, there’s a option to scale the guest Display to a something else like 125% - it’s in the Menu.

Thanks for the pointers. I reinstalled without installing guest additions and that was fine. Unfortunately the sliding scale for window size only allows larger square areas but will not fill my screen which like most modern screens is rectangular.

My biggest problem however is with the audio controller. It sounds absolutely awful through the dell usb sound bar attached to my dell external monitor. The sound was perfect with Parallels Desktop but since I cannot install Parallels Tools that is no longer an option for me. Any suggestions as to how to fix the sound issue?

Try configuring a different Audio controller in the Virtual Machine, you have different options like AC97 or Intel HD. Check if that makes a difference.

I tried both - they both seem to give the same poor sound. I am not sure what audio controller Parallels used but the audio was perfect - just as good as I get from my mac.

Two questions:

• What version of Virtual Box are you using? (6.1.18 is latest as of today)
  • What Mac Book Air are you using (MacBookAirX,Y) and what Mac Os Version?
  1. I am using Virtual Box 6.1.18

2. MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) running MacOS Big Sur 11.1

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.