Phantom updates in App Center

@Jack75, thanks again for providing the files but I think you didn’t enter the app page, so I couldn’t find the information I needed.
Can you still run gnome-software again with the verbose log command as you did, but send a screenshot of an app after you enter it from the Updates tab, i.e. go to the Updates tab, then click on the Astronomy app row for example, then take a screenshot there and send me verbose log (+ the screenshot) only after this.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your reply.

Here are the screen shots and verbose log you requested. Regards. John

gnome-software-verbose.txt (1.6 MB)

Here’s today’s update list from the App Center. Please get back with your solution. I sent your request for a verbose log etc. six days ago.

Thanks. Jack75

Hi @Jack75,
Sorry, I was very busy and travelling too.
I couldn’t find what I wanted in the verbose log (did you start GNOME Software with the --verbose command before you entered the Astronomy?).

Here’s another sort of blind suggestion, have you tried turning the auto updates off and restarting GNOME Software (notice you need to either killall gnome-software or reboot the computer)? I have a suspicion that maybe it’s affected by this…

Hi Joachim

(did you start GNOME Software with the --verbose command before you entered the Astronomy?). Yes.

Here’s another sort of blind suggestion, have you tried turning the auto updates off and restarting GNOME Software - Yes

need to either killall gnome-software or reboot the computer - Yes, done previously.

I see this issue occurs when automatic updates is turned on. When I turn off and click updates (top left), I get “Software is up to date”.

Hope this helps…

Hi guys

I’m still getting phantom updates every time I turn on my notebook, despite having upgraded to 3-4-4/7092.

Here’s the latest diagnostics. eos-diagnostic-180712_172851_UTC 0700.txt (1006.4 KB)

I also noticed this in terminal wheen requesting the diagnostics.

I really would appreciate some definitive help here; it’s driving me crazy.

Jack75

Thanks for pointing this out. I’ve opened a pull request to fix this warning. (It only happens on hardware with eMMC devices.)

To keep you up to date, these phantom updates have been appearing for a number of days.

Here’s the diagnostics; please note the warnings!

eos-diagnostic-180715_064854_UTC 0700.txt (806.8 KB)

Thanks. Jack75

Hi jrocha I also have this same problem since I upgraded to version 3.4. It looks like it’s an OS build bug. Please correct. I also have automatic updates turned on. I will not send a diagnosis, because the problem seems to be to build the OS. It bothers me a lot. Every time I turn on my notebook I have phantom updates popping up. Only when I click the mouse to check for updates in the upper corner of the Program Center does the ghost apps disappear.

Thank you.

1 Like

Any news on this major problem, please.

If not, how can I completely uninstall Endless from my Acer Swift 3 (it was preinstalled)?

It was obviously a huge mistake to purchase this as it’s been nothing but one ongoing problem after another.

Something is seriously broken.

Thanks.

Any news on this major problem, please.

If not, how can I completely uninstall Endless from my Acer Swift 3 (it was preinstalled)?

It was obviously a huge mistake to purchase this as it’s been nothing but one ongoing problem after another.

Something is seriously broken.

Thanks.

This is a repeat of my post from 19 July. Nothing has changed. Perhaps by now there should be some progress or interest in helping me out.

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks.

This should be fixed with Endless OS 3.5

You said that about the last update. There’s been absolutely no change, so please explain how and why this it will be different this time. Some detail would be very appreciated.

When will OS 3.5 be available?

Thanks.

Probably here for a few weeks. Endless OS 3.5 is a major update that will bring new features and many fixes, enhancements, and etc…

Why have phantom updates been happening? What is the root of the problem?

Why are you claiming this, without any information?

Sorry, no news as far as I know. It’s a known issue, but it’s lower-priority than other work at the moment, because it does not seem particularly serious. Do these phantom updates cause problems in your day-to-day use of the computer? Can you still install new apps? If you turn on automatic updates, do the phantom ones go away?

One thing I realized only this weekend is that you can no longer update runtimes and etc in the application central
Some applications appear repeated in the application central

Application central hangs frequently

gnome-software-verbose.txt

It’s very, very annoying. They appear with or without automatic updates turned on or off, so how am I supposed to know which is which without checking all the time?

Just tell me how to uninstall the pre-installed Endless OS on my Acer and replace it with another Linux distro.

Thanks.

Download the ISO for the distro of your choice, write it to a USB stick with GNOME Disks, boot from it, and follow that distro’s instructions.